Chapter Twenty-One: White Chestnut

The King was stood at his chamber window as he had been for the last twenty minutes, since he returned from the feast. Merlin, of course was nowhere to be found, Arthur didn't know whether to be angry that his servant wasn't doing his duties or worried that his friend had disappeared into the cold, stormy night.

It was just then when a skinny figure began walking through the castle gates, soaking wet, drops of water fell from his hair down his face. The boy looked up towards the window where his King stood, he could see Arthur's stern face glaring down on him. The blonde walked away from the glass leaving Merlin alone and dropping his head down in thought of the trouble he would get into for ignoring his duties again.

The Raven began walking towards the doors, suddenly the giant oak doors swung open, revealing the King of Camelot at the threshold. The surprised boy stepped back but was stopped when Arthur grabbed a hold of his tunic and pulled him inside. Once the Warlock was within the castle walls the blonde pinned the him up against the wall with a mighty force which caused pain to scatter down the Raven's spine.

"Where the hell have you been?!" The King demanded

"I... I was just out"

"Don't lie to me Merlin, I've heard enough of your lies to last me ten lifetimes. You promised me no more lies!"

"I'm not lying!" The boy retorted "I was out!"

"Out where?!"

The Raven could feel the anger boiling up within him, just as it had before "IT'S NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!" He shouted before pushing the King off him with all his might.

Arthur stumbled backwards but quickly regained his balance and lunged forward pushing his friend back up against the stone wall with even more force than the last time.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Arthur screamed but before the Raven could even respond, the pair were interrupted by two Knights.

"What's going on here?" Sir Leon asked whilst approaching with Sir Percival by his side. Arthur looked to the Knights and then back at Merlin who he still held against the wall with gripped fists, the blonde reduced the tightness of his grip as he realised how harshly he had been acting.

"Nothing. Absolutely Nothing." The boy replied whilst getting free from the King's grasp, glaring at him before pushing past Leon and Percival.

"What was that all about?" The giant asked in concern as he walked towards Arthur.

"I don't know" The King responded whilst looking worriedly at the young boy who was now almost out of sight.

Arthur gestured for the knights to follow him to the armoury, where he told them about the potion he had seen Merlin drink multiple times during the day, and the odd way he reacted when he drank it. He told them of his suspicions about the contents of the vial. It seemed all too coincidental that the Warlock had fallen ill from being poisoned repeatedly and had also been seen drinking an unknown substance on several occasions throughout the day.

It was then the King and his knights formulated a plan which would take place the following day.

~~~

The morning had began like any other, Merlin arrived at the King's chambers with breakfast, he continued to ready the man for his day ahead. First up was training, the blonde had been unable to train with his Knights recently due to all the preparations of lifting the ban of magic, which as of yet had seemingly been successful in the first twenty-four hours. Arthur walked out onto the training field with the Warlock close behind him carrying his freshly polished weapons.