chapter 15

We walked up to the reception, talking with Beccy and acquaintances and introducing Robert to people I already knew. Every so often he would touch the locket through his shirt or fiddle with my fingers whilst we were talking to someone he didn't really know. It was cute but he seemed off. I pulled him aside, "Hey baby you ok? You look nervous."
He smiled weakly, "Yeah I'm ok. Also yeahh I'm nervous."
"Why are you nervous?" I asked, genuinely unsure of why he might be.
"To be fair, I don't know. There's a lot of new people and I don't like that. Also just expectations, I don't know what I'm meant to do, I don't want to ruin anything, I don't want to disappoint you for any reason, I-"
I cut him off, kissing him. "Shh it's ok. You're not going to disappoint me, and you don't need to impress anyone. You impress them by just being you"
His face had flushed red, "Do I really now?" He smiled and looked down, then back at me.
"Yes, you do"
"Are you sure that's not just you?"
I laughed, "Yes, I'm sure that's not just me - now, do you want to go get something to eat?"
"I guess so"
I took his hand firmly in mine, "come on then"

-later that evening-

"Byee" I called behind us as we left the small building. I walked over to the car and got in the drivers seat. I heard Robert sigh at me before going and getting into the passenger side. "You don't have to drive, you know?" He said.
"But I want to"
"Ok" he paused as I started the car, "I know we haven't discussed it much but I do love you and I don't ever want to do anything wrong so please just tell me if I do."
"Babe?"
"Yeah?" He replied.
"I don't think you understand quite how much I love you. You do realise that you've been wearing a locket tonight that I wore for good luck, just because it was something to do with you? Because I knew you so well before I even met you but I never imagined you to be,, you. Because what they see, what I saw as a fan, was a perfect, gorgeous boy who never has anything wrong with him, who lives life the best anyone can. But now I know you, I know that you're not just the boy on the other side of the screen that I'm crushing on. You're a real human. Someone who does make mistakes, someone with insecurities, someone who feels the same way as me. Someone who I love to pieces. I can't imagine not meeting you anymore. If you had just been sick and that had been the end of it. Going back to being a fan and- and for crying out loud I love you more than I've ever loved anyone and I know a lot of young girls will say that to be quirky and cool but I do. I truly do. So please- "
This time he cut me off, kissing me, then kissing me again, and then again, "Baby I-" I said and he pulled away, revealing the lines of tears running down his cheeks. I smiled and wiped them away with my thumb, cupping his face, "I love you, ok? That's not going to change overnight."
He nodded and I took my hand away, turning my body back round to start driving. I pulled out of the car park, in silence apart from Rob's occasional sniff as he tried to stop his tears.
"Don't be sa- " I started, but he interrupted me again.
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be sorry" I smiled.
"Am I allowed to do a soppy speach now?"
We both giggled,
"No, that's my thing." I replied, plastering a smile on his face.
"Ok well. I realised I loved you from the moment I saw you, I was so scared to knock on your door. I don't know what made me want to meet you, I just suddenly did as soon as I messaged you. And I knew I didn't just want to talk about starkid and just be friends."
"The speech is my thing, remember? You're not allowed to make me cry whilst I'm driving"
He smiled again,
"Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I love you more than the world and the reason I get so emotional is because I can't imagine being without you. You don't need to declare your love for me in some fancy speach, I just sometimes forget that I'm not just, how you put it, 'the boy behind the screen'. So thank you.

Thank you."