Iluvatar's gift to the Edain

Warning: deep philosophical stuff, do not read if you don't want to stay awake at 3am, wondering about the world. 

"Why does he call Death a gift?" Said the Man to the Elf. "Death is Doom. Eru Iluvatar is giving us a limit to our lives, an inescapable doom. Why do the Eldar call it a gift?"

"Do not call immortality a blessing, for it is not always so. The Edain's lives burn bright and short, but the Eldar are everlasting. We do not fade. We do not forget. We shall exist, whether living or dead, till the end of the world be upon us." Said the Elf. 

"But why is it not?" Asked the Man. 

"The sorrow of the ages, the Light and the Dark, we cannot forget. Even if we die, we do not fade away. Our souls dwell forevermore in the halls of Mandos, till the end of time, or when the Valar see fit to call us back to life. The sorrows of the world we remember always, never fading from memory. Each moment, bliss or anguish, we cannot forget. We do not cease existing. Sometimes, the best gift to an immortal is Death." 

"And whither do the Edain go, after Death?"

"The fëa of the second born, we do not see. They go beyond the confines of Time and Space. Perhaps there is another dwelling for them, or perhaps they simply exist no more. Iluvatar's gift to you is thus: True Death, such as it is. To be able to forget your sorrows, to release your hold on the world. Our hearts grow heavier with each passing day, but yours do not. You may choose to forget. And that, is the gift. Do you see it now?" 

"Yes, I do." 

"Then rest now, Son of the Second Born." The elf smiled. 

The Man closed his eyes, and faded away.