Chapter 12: At a Lost

"No," Liam looked at him as he walked into the locker room, "you're not playing."

"I'll be fine," Nolan told him.

Liam shoved him and quickly caught him as Nolan showed no resistance.

"I'm okay, Li."

"Nolan, I'm not watching you kill yourself."

"If you were in the same situation, you would drag yourself out onto the field. You might be captain, but I am too as much as I shouldn't be a captain you gave me the title."

Liam couldn't anymore he knew Nolan shouldn't be practicing, but also he was right. The boy was falling apart; he didn't feel like making it worse.

Nolan put on his helmet, leaving Liam standing there. Corey walked over to him, "couldn't talk him out of it?"

"I couldn't," Liam admitted, "he was right. It's not my decision."

"We better get out there then," the chameleon looked at him.

Theo pulled up at the school to watch practice with Mason and Alec.

"How's Nolan?" he slid in beside Mason.

"Awful," Mason looked over at the chimera.

"So, you let him practice?"

"You want to try and stop him," Alec glanced over.

"I know I could have," Theo flashed his yellow eyes.

"Why do you always have to be so aggressive?"

"It's in my nature."

Liam and Corey ran out of the locker room as Coach called for warm-ups.

"Dunbar, Holloway lead them!" Coach screamed.

Liam started running with Nolan following behind. The beta always slowed down during practice to avoid using his werewolf abilities. By the end of it, Nolan was exhausted.

Liam stared at him, "are you okay?" He heard his breathing was rapid; Nolan next to Liam was the best runner on the team easily. He never struggled before. Nolan grabbed on to the beta before he fell over.

Coach yelled at him to start drills.

"I'm okay," Nolan said grabbing his stick.

Liam and Corey pulled him off the ground three times before the end of practice. They basically carried him to the locker room as soon as practice was over. Liam ripped his gear off of him.

"Are you with me?' Liam stared at him.

Nolan nodded, "give me a minute." He sat down on the bench.

"Eyes open," Corey grabbed his arm.

Liam packed his bag as Corey made sure he didn't fall over. Corey grabbed him off the bench as they headed out to the other three.

"I'll drive you home," Liam looked at Alec and Nolan.
"I'll follow you," Theo stared at them, "you do remember there's still hunters out there right?"

"How could I forget?" Alec mumbled.

Liam got into the driver's seat and looked behind him at Nolan and Alec in the back seat. Nolan was awake, but barely gazing out the window. Alec was gripping onto his hand.

When his phone started to ring, "Parrish?"

"We figured out why the hunters came back."

"What?"