Water and Wolves

HEY! If you already read this: I added like 2,000 more words at the bottom! Don't skip me :(

~~Timeskips provided by "Hericane" by LANY today~~

3rd POV

(cuz I'm lazy rn)

It had been a week since the mine shaft incident, and Percy was healing nicely with a bit of mythological help. His doctors were slightly amazed by the speed of his recovery, but he never healed more than believable so they called it miraculous and moved on. His brothers remained in town in a motel, searching for cases while Percy healed. It had terrified his brothers that Percy had almost died, and he vowed to be more careful from now on. At the moment, Percy was awake in his hospital bed, appreciating the morning in silence, and Dean was sleeping on the couch. As the door opens, Dean awakens and slips a hand under his pillow for a weapon.

As he turns to look, he sees Sam entering, carrying coffee and pastries. Sam says, "Morning, sunshine." Dean stretches, replying, "What time is it?" Percy speaks, "Uh, it's about five forty-five." "In the morning?" Dean questions. "Yep." Dean comments, "Where does the day go?" Percy smirks, "You fell asleep watching Cake Boss at 8pm. Are you sure you're not 80 years old?" Dean sits up, looking at Sam, "Did you get any sleep last night?" Sam replies nonchalantly, "Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours." A cough from Dean that sounded like "Liar" echoed through the room. Percy spoke up, "Liar. 'Cause I was up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial." Sam defends raising his arms to seem innocent, "Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV."

Dean raises his eyebrows, "When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Sam replies, "I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal." Dean pushes him, "Yeah, it is." Sam attempts to defuse Dean by saying, "Look, I appreciate your concern—" but is interrupted by Dean's, "Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp." Sam shrugs. Dean asks him, "Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?" Sam crosses the room, sits on the other bed, and hands a coffee to Dean.

"Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you." Percy leans over, reaching for his own coffee. "I mean sure, it does, but you have to know what to hold on to and what to forget. Like Grapevine, I'm going to hold onto that one for the rest of my life, but Pierre, I don't sweat that one anymore." Both Dean and Sam wince at the name of Grapevine, a city in Texas where a particularly rough and fatal hunt occurred but raised an eyebrow at Pierre. It was a tough hunt that Percy took a bit harder than he should've, but it was during his "moody and depressed" teenage days so they didn't really ask much about it.

Dean shook his head at Percy saying to Sam, "You can't let it get to you, man. You can't bring it home like that." Sam looked a bit confused about this, saying, "So, what? All this it...never keeps you up at night?" Dean shakes his head. "Never? You're never afraid?" "No, not really." Percy snorted and reached under Dean's pillow to pull out a large hunting knife and holds it up as evidence. "Never afraid my ass." Dean takes the knife back. "That's not fear. That is precaution." Sam concedes with, "All right, whatever. I'm too tired to argue."

Dean's phone rings. He puts it on speaker and answers it.

"Hello?"

Dean, it's, uh, it's Jerry Panowski. You, your brother, and your dad helped me out a couple years back.

"Oh, right, yeah. Up in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, the poltergeist thing. It's not back, is it?"

No. No. Thank god, no. But it's something else, and...uh, I think it could be a lot worse.