Truth (A Lauren Story)

You've got to tell them. I mean, they're going to find out eventually. When-

Lauren, you've got to tell them.

"Just do it," Lauren whispered to herself miserably. She sighed as she fidgeted with her wavy hair, mussing up her perfect side part. "It's simple, quick, and easy. Get it over with, bear the reactions, and move forward."

Move forward. It's not that hard. You've got to do it eventually.

For the thousandth time, she tried to convince herself, tell herself that it was fine. That she was fine. Because she was, wasn't she? Everything was alright — and would be alright— because she wouldn't care what they had to say. Any of the sugar-sweet sympathy, the concerned looks, the 'I'm so sorrys' would bounce away, fading off into oblivion. And she would be fine.

But deep down, she knew they wouldn't. They would stick to her skin, creep into her mind, and make her feel worse than ever. Somewhere in the back of her consciousness, Lauren had already reached that conclusion. Which is why she'd been pushing back the confession for days, weeks even. Anytime she thought about it, about standing in front of them, opening her mouth, telling them the truth, and-

No. She just couldn't. There was no way.

The butterflies in her stomach fluttered anxiously. She let out a nervous gulp as she felt her palms growing sweaty and her mouth turning dry. She shivered, the electric combination of anticipation and fear pushing her closer and closer to the breaking point.

Just do it.

Slowly, Lauren stood up and walked over to the edge of the room, peering through the doorway. The other girls were chatting amongst themselves, laughing gaily at each others' snarky (and apparently hilarious) comments.

I can't do it.

Lauren slumped against the wall, fighting back a wave of tears that were brimming at the surface, just an inch away from surfacing. She'd been trying so hard, fighting against her anxiety, her blown-out-of-proportion worries, but there was no way. She sniffled, wiping away the wet tears with a shaky hand.

"If only I had someone," she mumbled, choking back a sob. "I can't deal with this alone, but I can't bring myself to confess."

As soon as the words passed her lips, Lauren stood up a bit straighter, suddenly energized with her newly formed idea. Of course. Why hadn't she thought of it before? She could tell Dani. She could tell anything to Dani; it was as comfortable as anything could be. They fit together like a puzzle, perfectly matched for each other.

Slowly, Lauren reached for her phone, ignoring the warning signs flashing through her mind.

"Dan?"

"Hey, Lauren. What's up?"

Lauren pinched her thighs, letting the sharp pain bring her back into the moment. She smiled sadly as she opened her mouth and let out her confession. The words slid out into the open, falling into reality.

Dani whispered, her voice hushed, "When? How?"

"I- I can't tell you," Lauren responded, her words stumbling and wavering. She blinked back hot tears. "I shouldn't have told you in the first place."

"Please," Dani begged. "I'm here for you. I'm always here for you."

A pause, and then, "When? You can't hide this from everyone."

Lauren's eyes flared. "I've done it well enough, haven't I? No one knows about the secret doctor appointments, the trips to the hospital. No one notices me losing weight. No one notices me throwing up in the bathroom, crying myself to sleep every night. Almost falling over from dizzy spells. No one. No one notices my problems."

Dani's eyes shone, her expression shattered by grief. She swallowed hard and glanced back up at the screen, staring into Lauren's unrelenting gaze.

"I'm sorry," she whispered softly. "I should've looked- I.... should have realized."

Lauren shook her head. "It's not you, Dan. It's not you."

"But who is it?" Dani pushed. "You have to let someone help you."

Lauren swept a stray strand of hair off her face as she contemplated her sister's words.

"I've told you. Isn't that enough?"

"No! Gods, you need someone else who can support you in some other way than a freakin' FaceTime! Laur—"

Dani paused for a moment, her hands fluttering in the air. She gesticulated agitatedly.

"Laur," she said again, her voice pleading.

"It's fine. I promise." Lauren said quickly. "I'll tell them soon, I swear."

Then she reached out and tapped the end call button. The metallic taste of anxiety returned, flooding her mouth with a sharp, bitter taste. The phone rang again just a moment later, Dani's name flashing across the screen. Lauren tossed her phone aside. The call hadn't magically solved her problems as she'd hoped it would— in fact, she felt worse than before. Her head throbbed and her stomach hurt like hell. Her heart felt like it had been ripped open, prodded, and stitched back together again. She was emotional and physically drained, tired beyond belief. She had no energy to tell anyone else. And she didn't want to.

Maybe one day the truth would come out. But until then, lies would stack upon lies until Lauren was tangled up in an endless web of deception.

Because lies are so much easier to tell than the truth.

So.
Much.
Easier.

It's been a ~while~
Anyhoo hope you enjoyed! I'm extremely rusty because I have not written that much lately oops