Against The World (Finale)

When I wake up Akeno isn't next to me. That's probably not indicative of a good future relationship but this isn't the first time this has happened. Akeno comes back through the door and I see breakfast on a tray, and now it all makes sense.

"Good morning Y/N," she says. I see she has her ring on which makes me really happy. "Eat up and we'll get going to school."

"Oh yeah, school. After yesterday I forgot about that." She sits with me and we start eating. "So any plans for after school?"

"I've probably got a summon to do so I'll be busy with that, but I'll hurry just for you."

"Okay cool, but don't feel any need to rush. I've got some business with the team so I'll go see them after school. Hopefully that won't last too long, but Vali can be a stubborn bastard sometimes."

"Okay Y/N. I'll make sure dinner is ready if I'm home before you." I open my arms and she sits on my lap.

"Already turning into a housewife Akeno? That's not very fitting for you. I wouldn't mind helping out cooking but I don't know shit about it." Akeno leans against me.

"I'm sorry I like cooking for you so much Y/N."

"I didn't mean it like that, but I was just saying." We finish up breakfast and get ready for school. There's something weird about going to school now that I'm engaged, but ultimately I'm happy with the decision that I made. When school is over I can't say I'm certain on what I'll do, but I know Kuroka and I won't be sticking around for college. Akeno and I make it to school and people start talking about the rings on our fingers. We ignore it and make it to class where everybody is. When we get to class the devils and Kuroka all look surprised.

"Well I can't say I expected that this early," Rias says to the two of us. "I'm happy for you two." Before we sit down Kuroka gives us a hug.

"Look at you Y/N. What happened to never getting married?" Akeno looks at me confused.

"Things changed Kuroka, and that's how it goes sometimes. If you're so fixated on it I'm sure somebody will be there for you."

"Maybe," she responds, "but for now I'll be here for you two all the way. I'm in no hurry to find someone."

"That's a good thing." We sit down and class starts, but I can't bring myself to pay any attention to what the teacher is saying. How am I supposed to pay any attention now that I'm riding on cloud nine for the first time in years? That reminds me I need to tell Luna about it. Fortunately I was able to work something out with Azazel so she could come stay with our mom. I'll have to make sure to invite her to come over to our place when we're both home.

The first day that Akeno and I met she wanted nothing to do to me, and that was only a couple of months ago. Time went on and things started to change. My first day of school was probably the first thing that changed me in her mind. All I saw with Akeno was somebody I wanted to help. Of course I noticed her beauty, but there is so much more to know about her than what most people would see. That's why I threw a punch when that guy called her and Rias bitches.

After that it seemed like Akeno realized I wasn't all that bad. Of course having a bad relationship with somebody of a specific race can change your mindset quickly, especially if you're younger. That's how racism works, and I don't blame Akeno for having the mindset she did towards fallen angels. If it wasn't then that pushed her into my favor it was the whole Riser situation.

Everyday I think back to what happened with Riser, even if I don't want to. It wasn't even something I did for Akeno until we started training together and she started to accept herself as a fallen angel. I never asked her when she was fully able to accept it, but if I had to guess it was when I fought Riser and showed my skills off fully. I've almost died for the people around me so many times now I'm losing count, but I'm still here and I know it'll be okay. If I could go back and redo everything I wouldn't because I probably would be a different place if I did. To think this whole adventure started because I was around Raynare and the rest of her squad of lowlifes.