Chapter 10: Warmth

--------------------------------------------------------------

There was silence.

Dream looked at the boy on the other side of the bed. He wanted to comfort him, but what can he do? It seems like George doesn't want him to be there. He couldn't help but feel like everything is his fault. How did they end up like this?

It was Dinner time. Dream went up to get George. When he was at the door of George's bedroom, Dream knocked. But there was no answer. George must be sleeping. It has been a few hours since George holed himself up inside the room, so Dream decided to wake him up. He gently opened the door and peeked his head. The light in the hallway illuminated parts of George's dark room. Dream opened the door wider until the light hit George's face.

Dream expected to see George sleeping peacefully but what he saw was only distress. He immediately noticed the tears that were leaking in George's closed eyes. Without any hesitation, Dream hurried to his side. George was shaking as quiet sobs escaped from his red lips from biting. George's fingers twitched, attempting to move but couldn't. Dream's heart broke as he realized George's situation. He decided to wake him up from his nightmare.

But Dream didn't think of what would happen when George wakes up. He didn't even know how George would react. Now, he was stuck in this cursed silence.

"Um, George?" Dream finally decided to break the cold silence. "Are you okay? What's wrong? What do you need? Do you need water?"

George didn't answer.

"Um, uh, dinner's ready. Are you hungry? We should go eat."

Still no answer.

Having no answers, Dream sighed. Maybe, George needed some more space.

"It's okay. Take your time." Dream said as he stood up from the bed. "But you should eat. I'll bring you some food, okay?"

Dream turned to leave the room. But when he did, he felt a hand grab his wrist. Dream turned back around towards the boy on the bed. Then Dream met with George's misty coffee eyes. Slowly, Dream faced him without a word and waited patiently. Then George hugged him. Dream was surprised but then hugged back.

"I'm sorry." George's muffled voice reached Dream's ears. Then George broke away from the hug and looked up at Dream. But George couldn't maintain eye contact. "I'm sorry about earlier. I shouldn't have ended the stream like that. I didn't mean to sound mad or sad. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. And, and-"

For every word that came out of George's mouth, he comes closer to breaking down again. Dream noticed it and decided to comfort George.

"Shhh... George, It's okay." Dream whispered as he gave George a small and soft smile.

"Dream I- I shouldn't have let my emotions get the best of me. It's not your fault." George continued as he fidgeted with his fingers. "I- I'm not forcing my feelings on you. I- You don't have to love me back. I'm sorry if you feel pressured because of that. Your happiness is my priority. I'm- I'm sorry. It's just that- I can't help but feel sad. I'm sorry."

Tears started to fall again. George tried his best to stop them to no avail.

"George. It's okay to feel sad." Dream cupped George's face as he tried to wipe his tears away. George was now looking at him in tears. "It's okay. I understand. Don't apologize for your feelings. You are going through a rough time right now. It's okay to break down sometimes. Just know that I'll be here for you. If you need space, then I will give it to you. If you need some comfort, I'm here. If you need help, I'll do what I can. Just tell me what you need. So don't apologize for your feelings, Georgie. I'm just glad that you could be honest with me."