Chapter Three

"Are you ready for school yet?" Today was Rose's first day back to kindergarten. Yesterday, she had been excited that she could go back, but this morning she started to get nervous jitters.

She came skipping out of our room in a dark blue dress with white polka dots. "I'm ready!"

When we arrived at the school, I walked her into the classroom so I could talk to the teacher. She was attacked by a bunch of her friends when they all realized that she was back. I wouldn't have to worry about her not having a good day today, that was for sure.

I found the teacher and told her what happened. "I would appreciate it if we could not mention her parents much because she still doesn't really know what happened to them and I'm not sure how she would react if someone brought them up."

I walked back over to where Rose was talking with a bunch of her friends. I bent down so I could look her in the eyes. "I'm going to head to work now. I'll see you when I come pick you up this afternoon. Have a great day!"

She gave me a smile and told me she would. Then she wrapped her arms around me and put her mouth right next to my ear. "I love you," she whispered.

I felt myself tearing up, but I whispered back, "I love you too."

As soon as I got to my car, the tears that were threatening to escape finally got their chance. No child should have to go through something like this. I guess I should just be glad that she is young enough to accept things as they come, even if she does ask a million questions.

I pulled up to the childcare, grabbed my bag and headed inside. It was a special day, we were going to be doing crafts and making cards because it was getting close to Christmas time. This time of year we always did handprint art and the kids made cards for their parents or guardians. We did this every few days so when Christmas came, they could give them a big stack of all their work.

A few hours later, all the kids hands were covered in different color paint and there were crafts and cards all over the tables and floor to dry. Some kids had glitter all over their clothes from the cards they made, but they seemed to have had a blast.

"Come on kids, let's wash our hands with soap and water and get all those colors off." Sydney started helping them get all the glue and paint off, while I started to clean the room. I gathered up all the paint and put it back in my bag. I had always loved painting, but I hadn't done it for years. I used to paint all the time, portraits, landscapes, I would paint anything. When I moved and started to work here I stopped because I didn't have time. Every year when the kids would paint, it would make me want to as well. There wasn't enough room in my apartment to keep everything set up like I want to.

I realized that Rose and I couldn't keep living in my one-bedroom apartment forever. Soon enough, she would need her own room. I thought about all the money that my mother left behind that I had never touched. It may be time to think about using it.

She had quite a bit of inheritance money from her parents and it was left to us when she died. Sarah nor I had touched it since, because of why she left us. When push came to shove though, I might need to use it if I want Rose to have a good childhood.

I looked up at the clock and realized that I needed to head back to the kindergarten to pick Rose up.

"Hey Sydney, I'll be back in thirty minutes. I'll bring Rose with me."

When I arrived back at the daycare with Rose, about half of the kids were gone, which was normal. Rose sat down at the table right away and started working on the coloring sheets that her teacher gave her.

"Do you know of any good real estate agencies around? I need to sell Sarah's house and have an estate sale, but I also need to look for a new, larger apartment, or house for Rose and I." Sydney lived in a small, but reasonable house and I thought that she might know of one.