Proposal

The decision

Not one moment during Draco's life, after he and Katherine started dating, he thought about a future that didn't include her.

He made very clear to everyone that they were going to be together forever, and nothing could ever change that.

But there was one day when he made the decision to make his plan come true.

He truly wanted to say that they were dancing under the moonlight, on a night full of stars and the moon's shine on her face made him realize it. Or maybe that he saw her in that gorgeous red dress of hers and he instantly knew he had to make her his wife. Or that they were in one of their picnics and the sunset light made her look like an angel, and her smile was so bright that the sun could feel ashamed, and he decided he wanted that smile to be his for good.

But honestly? It was nothing like that.

It was actually a really ordinary wednesday, the only day on the week that they spent their lunch breaks together, and they met in a normal coffee shop two blocks away from her work.

He had his hand on her lower back while waiting in line, and they were casually talking about what would be the three items they should bring to an island. He was rolling his eyes and scoffing while she ranted about why a magical bottle of water that never gets empty was the most important thing. And every time she stopped her talking, he would say it was a waist of choices because there would be plenty of water around the island just to see her eyebrows furrowing together, her eyes rolling and the frustrating sigh getting out of her lungs before she started her next speech with 'Just fucking think, you moron.' even if he knew for a fact that she was right.

When it was finally their turn, he asked for a cup of tea with chicken sandwich. He and the cashier turned to face her and she started ordering.

"I want a medium sized cup of coffee, a sandwich half ham, cheese and lettuce and half chicken with pepper sauce. And you can add two blueberries shortcakes with chocolate frosting on top of it. Please." she glanced at Draco because she knew that if she didn't order him a cake, he would eat her own.

It was nothing new. Every wednesday they would go to that same old coffee shop, discuss about something silly in line, order the very same thing to the very same cashier, an old woman who was always wearing a really heavy makeup and a pink, or sometimes red, lipstick, sit at the same table of two in the back of the room, close to the widow and eat together. Draco would say something and she would laugh and almost spilled her coffee, and she would raise her eyebrows when he ate one of the shotcakes that he 'didn't even want in the first place'.

But that was the day, the last wednesday of june, that he looked at her differently. While he listened to her ordering her lunch, for probably the 100th time in his life, he realized how much he loved her. Loved this, his life. With her. How much he loved that routine, and how much he loved watching her making ordinary things. Truth to be told, he would drool all over himself if he decided watching her standing still for 24 hours, so he was sure his deal wasn't with watching her doing things, but with watching her. Period.

And sure, his heart still turned upside down everytime she called him 'her boyfriend', but that was the day where he realized he didn't want to be that anymore. He wanted to be her husband.

Draco never was the best with feelings when he was younger. When he grew up, and started dating Katherine, he obviously started to get really better at the whole feelings' thing, but he still couldn't be called 'good' at it.

When he realized that he was going to propose to her, he pulled her by the waist and gave her a passionate kiss, not worrying where he was. Which he probably should, since the cashier was still holding her hand for Katherine to hand her the 15 galleons, but none of that matter: He was going to be a husband! Katherine's husband!