B3: Chapter 7 - A Little Friend joins the Pack

The Legend of the Flower Demon Lord

BOOK THREE

Chapter 7 – A Little Friend joins the Pack

An arrogant remark.

"What are you all scared of? Just because you heard there was a dragon guarding the castle? Pfft! It was trained by Ellie. Ellie, you know? It's probably a complete scaredy-cat!"

Looking back and making fun of his group, Magnus didn't even pay attention to where he was going.

When he finally glanced back... "Hey, stop being so afraid and just follow- ....me?" He immediately stopped in his tracks. Amidst the grey dust floating in the air like a dense fog...a brilliant golden orb watched him attentively. The thick scaly skin folded over as the large eye slowly blinked.

Gulp.

Magnus unconsciously took a step back, "G-Good dragon...there you are...". His voice was quivering, his mouth twitching, and his whole body visibly shaking.

Fellyn slowly shook her head in disappointment. They tried to warn him, yet this fool...They all couldn't help but sigh, seemingly thinking the same thing.

A gust of wind suddenly blew, making Magnus cover his face with his arms as he tried not to be blown back. The creature's giant black wings had simply opened and moved back, causing the wind and blowing away most of the dust covering the view.

When Magnus finally reopened his eyes, the dragon Ghost's face was already inches away from his, a smug grin revealing excessively sharp fangs.

Rooooaaaaar!

Spit and wind hit Magnus dead on, his eyes closing back shut as he was pushed back a few meters. As if content, Ghost gave a hmph! Turning his back to the group and curling itself up as if to take a nap.

"...I don't think we are welcome," commented Fellyn.

Felly looked up at the castle's tower hovering in the distance, beyond the dragon, and began to wonder if Ellie were there, sitting all alone. Her big, watery eyes, reminiscent of a pitiful cat staring up at someone – the kind that would melt one's heart and make them go "aww" – suddenly hardened with determination. Her little fists clenched at her sides. With nails as sharp as ever, blood even began to flow in small droplets to the ground.

"We have to go. We can't give up on Ellie. Not when...not when..." Her eyes wavered with unfallen tears, "Not when she's suffering all alone..."

Angie rubbed her arm as she attempted to console her, "We know. We all feel the same way. That's why..." Angie's eyes also hardened in determination. "That's why! Let's throw Magnus at the dragon and run for it while it's distracted! It's the only way!"

"Oiiiiiii! What nonsense are you spouting back there?! Who are you sacrificing, huh?!"

The angel knight Edward nodded solemnly, agreeing, "Yes, it's the only way."

"I'm right here, you know? Are you all ignoring me now, huh?!"

"Look how confident he is, yelling so loudly near a dragon. It will work." Added Felyn with a serious nod, fitting in with the mood. At the end, however, she turned towards Magnus with a twisted smirk, as if making fun of him.

"Heeeeey!"

Even as he yelled in rage and desperation, Ezekiel turned towards him with eyes filled with pity, "Your sacrifice shall not be in vain."

"Aren't you a warrior?! You do something! Beat that dragon!"

Ezekiel shook his head, expression filled with sorrow, "Everyone knows a magicless warrior is useless against a mighty dragon."