xx

NOW PLAYING...

VAMPIRE BANQUET by FOX ACADEMY

You, Speedwagon, Poco, and Jonathan stood outside the iron door that contained the chamber Jonathan was forced to see his master perish in

You, Speedwagon, Poco, and Jonathan stood outside the iron door that contained the chamber Jonathan was forced to see his master perish in. Baron Zeppeli's body had been set ablaze by his pupil's torch, the ashes being taken by the wind into the dark sky. No one said a word, but the tears being shed spoke all that was needed to be.

The walk away from the castle was just as silent. Your hand in Jonathan's, Speedwagon walking beside you, and Poco beside Jonathan. You took the time to mourn, but the fact that Zeppeli would not have wanted you to helped ease the pain of losing another person who meant a heavy sum to you. Jonathan was different in demeanor after the memorial and this was an obvious fact to Speedwagon, too; it was like shutters were drawn in his soul. You knew it was your same Jonathan, though. He's a man you've watched lose so much--an orphan, his only family left remaining being an adopted brother with a strained relationship he now has to kill, and now his teacher who was close as family to him being sent to the heavens. 

Tears won't fix anything, you thought to yourself, not when Dio and his fiendish ghouls still wander this side of England. You've spilled too many already. For a vampire, you sure are weak, no matter what Robert says. 

"Oi, Jonathan, (Y/N), Dio was swanning about, saying he'd wipe out the town by tomorrow night," Speedwagon said as you four came upon a decently sized village. "Zombies will multiply, like rats breeding in a refuse heap."

Jonathan nodded.

"Poco, this is your town, right?" you asked. "We should see if your sister is alright."

"Yes, that would be wise," Jonathan finally said. 

The group continued down the path. The clouds covered the moon's glow, thus causing the area to become darker than before. Yet, Poco was still able to spot a man coming your way. 

"Mr. Adams!" he panted as he ran towards the mysterious man. 

"Woah, Poco," he stopped the boy with a nagging finger. "What are you doing at this hour of the night?"

Poco ignored him, "Please, tell me, is everyone alright? And--And my sister, is she safe?"

"You dare to ask?" he hissed. "You mean to say, you really don't know?"

You all gasped. What had happened? You put comforting hands on the boy's shoulders in case the news was the worst.

"She's bloody furious!" Mr. Adams finally revealed. "When you get home, she's gonna lock you in the barn and tan your hide!"

There was a universal sigh of relief amongst the group. 

"I guess that means she's safe," Jonathan commented.

You laughed as the worry you felt left with each exhale, "I guess so!"

"Then let's go," Speedwagon gasped.

You all trudged forward once more, with one last thank you from Poco to Mr. Adams. But, something didn't seem right with you. 

"Did anything about that man seem... off to anyone?" you questioned, crossing your arms and taking a glance back before turning your attention to Jonathan. 

He didn't say anything, he instead answered with action and grabbing a supernaturally long tongue in his clutches. You shrieked, along with Poco and Speedwagon. 

"My suspicions were correct," you commented witnessing the creature shed his human skin disguise. "He's turned!"

"You can't escape me with your human speed!" the zombified Adams grunted. He went for Jonathan, but he stepped on the zombie's tongue, causing the fiend to get a face full of Hamon. 

"This is no good, we're too late," Jonathan concluded. 

"That is correct," an unfamiliar voice added. You four looked up to see a blond man with armor. "The village is lost. The zombies are everywhere."

You hissed, getting in a battle position, "He could be one of them. Be careful." You put an arm out in front of the group.

"I'm known as Dire," he introduced himself. He jumped right over you and instead, went for Jonathan. 

"A kick, but why so slow?" Jonathan questioned. He grabbed onto the man's feet, causing this "Dire" fellow to go into a split pose. 

"Try this! The Thunder Split Attack!" He bent forward, and the two headbutted. The blond fell to the ground. "Are you mad, man? A normal man would pull back, but instead, you went on the offensive and attacked me with a headbutt." 

You rushed to Jonathan's side to make sure he was alright, wrapping your arms around his as he shook his head to get the pain to go and you hissed at the man, showing your fangs. Once Jonathan stood, you marched forward to take him down but he held out his hand to stop you. 

"Wait, (Y/N), I am human!" he claimed. You stopped. "I apologize, you must forgive me. I wanted to see how well Zeppeli trained Jonathan Joestar."

You gasped, "Did you say 'Zeppeli?'"

"You heard me correctly," he stated. "Zeppeli is an old and dear friend of mine. For the past twenty years, we've been put through many trials together."

"That is true," another unfamiliar voice said. This time, the man has long black hair. "Hello, my name is Straizo. Please read this."

He handed the letter to you, which you proceeded to give to Jonathan after reading who it was from.

"It's a letter. It was written by..." Jonathan flipped it over, "Baron Zeppeli!"

"We've only just arrived, but he sent that some time ago, requesting our aid," Straizo explained. "He wrote about the mask, where it could be found, the man who wears it, and even the vampire who defied all expectations." He gestured to you. 

You didn't say anything, only narrowing your eyes back down the path. You pointed forward. "There is another. I refuse to be surprised for the third time."

The final man was old and held a pipe in his hand. Dire and Straizo stepped aside. Dire introduced him, "Our training master, Tonpetty."

The old man exhaled the smoke from his pipe, "Greetings to you all."

"So, you're Baron Zeppeli's teacher, Master Tonpetty," Jonathan smiled. 

He extended his hand out to shake it, but Tonpetty snarled. "In the region I call home, our custom is not to shake hands. In this way, we greet each other." He put his hands together. After realizing your mistakes, the four of you quickly did it too and bowed your head out of respect. After, Tonpetty looked around, "Where is he? Zeppeli should be here by now." It took him a moment before clarity hit, "Oh, I see.  Zeppeli has passed beyond the veil."

Dire and Straizo, unaware of this fact, gasped. 

"Even if we had arrived earlier, his fate would have been the same," Tonpetty spoke. There was a mourning silence within the group. "His death is proof that the strength this Dio wields is devastating. His wickedness and his power are quite extraordinary."

You cleared your throat, "S-So, Zeppeli spoke of me? You three are alright with my presence on the team?"

"Very reluctantly," Tonpetty added. "But, I trust my student's judgment. If he believes you to be unlike the others, then so be it."

You smiled proudly and bowed your head out of respect. "Thank you, Sir." You turned to Poco. "Hey, kid. We still need to see that sister of yours, isn't that right?"

-end of chapter twenty