Chapter 12

The next week was torture for Blaine. He was forced to see the love of his life every single day, counting down the seconds in his head until he would never see him again. He was hardly productive, he just sat in his office everyday trying to think of ways to make Kurt stay. He could see Kurt's desk if he left his office window open, and every once in a while, their eyes would meet until they both looked away again.
"Mr.Anderson?"
Blaine looked up at Linda, snapping out of his thoughts. "Sorry, um- what'd you say?"
Linda smiled. "Do you want to sign the card for Kurt? We all pooled our money together and got him a gift and card."
Blaine took a deep breath. Kurt was really leaving tomorrow. "Um, yeah, sure." He said, taking the card.
'Good luck. You will be missed. -Blaine' He scribbled down, handing the card back to Linda. "There you go."
Linda nodded. "Thank you." She said, walking out of his office and closing the door.

Kurt was putting his things from his desk into a box as people began to leave, and he hugged almost everyone as they walked out. "I'll miss you so much." He said, hugging his coworkers and friends. He looked up as Blaine walked in, swallowing thickly. Everyone else had left, and it was just them. "Hey." He said softly.
Blaine was looking down at the ground. It was hard to look into Kurt's eyes. "Hi." He said softly. "I, um- I know Linda got you a card from everyone, but, I wanted to give you one as well." He said, setting the card on Kurt's desk. "It's a voucher, for a plane ticket from Ohio to New York. So that you can come visit your friends whenever you want to, without worrying about money."
Kurt bit his lip, his eyes tearing up as he looked up at Blaine. "I don't know what to say, Blaine. Thank you."
Blaine finally looked up at him, their eyes meeting as they stood in Kurt's empty office. He immediately noticed the bruise beneath Kurt's eye, even though he had obviously attempted to cover it with makeup. "What happened?"
Kurt shook his head, laughing nervously. "Oh, um, nothing. I just hit my face on my cabinet yesterday." He said, looking down.
Blaine took a deep breath. "He hit you, didn't he? Derek hit you." He said, his voice growing in anger. "Tell me the truth, Kurt."
Kurt looked at Blaine, shame on his face. He always promised to tell Blaine if Derek ever laid a hand on him. "Fine, but- he's had such a hard last few weeks, I-I forgot to leave him money for dinner because I was so busy packing and he got angry-"
Blaine cut him off. "Kurt, look at me." He said, gently taking Kurt's hands. "There is no reason that anybody should ever lay a hand on you. No reason." He said softly. He was angry, but he knew that Kurt was probably already distraught and scared enough. "This isn't your fault."
Kurt bit his lip, trying to stop himself from crying when he heard the elevator door open. He quickly pulled his hands away from Blaine, swallowing thickly when he saw Derek. "Honey, um- what are you doing here?"
Derek frowned. "I'm picking you up so we can go say goodbye to Rachel, remember?" He said, looking at Blaine. "Do you make a habit of making your employees stay late on their last day?"
Blaine was fuming. He had never met Derek, and to see him in the flesh— the man who had hurt Kurt— it was a different level of anger. He walked up to him, shoving him against the wall. "You make a habit of hitting your husband?"
Derek groaned as he was pushed against the wall, taking Blaine by the shoulders and pushing him back. "That's none of your fucking business." He said, looking up at Kurt. "Come on, Kurt, we're leaving."
Blaine shook his head. "He's not going anywhere with you. You don't deserve him." He said, pushing Derek against the wall again. "You've abused him emotionally for far too long- and now you're doing it physically too. You're a fucking scumbag."
Kurt rushed over to them, trying to push Blaine away. "Blaine, please, it's not worth it. Just let me go. I'll be fine." He begged, his voice shaking. He knew Derek would be furious with him for telling Blaine what happened.
"No, Kurt, I'm not gonna leave him alone. Not until he looks me in the eyes and admits that he hit you. He hit the most kind, loving, innocent person on this earth and he doesn't even seem to care." Blaine breathed, pushing Derek harder against the wall. He wanted to hit him, to make him hurt the way that Kurt did. But he couldn't. He couldn't stoop to his level. "Do it. Tell me."
Derek laughed. "You're funny." He said, shoving Blaine hard enough that he fell to the ground.
Blaine groaned, his head pounding as it hit the ground. He tried to sit up, but was quickly pushed down when Derek got on top of him, decking him across the face. "Kurt, run. Get out of here." Blaine choked out as Derek hit him again, his eyes slipping closed as he slowly lost consciousness.
Kurt was sobbing, tears running down his face as he screamed for Derek to get off of Blaine.
Derek stood up once Blaine passed out, looking over at Kurt. "Get your shit and meet me downstairs." He breathed, walking through the door to the elevator, going downstairs.
Kurt was shaking, and as soon as Derek was out of sight, he kneeled beside Blaine, grabbing his hands. "Oh my god- Blaine, please, please wake up. You're gonna be okay, I-I'm so sorry." He sobbed. "This is all my fault, I should have left him, baby, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." He cried, fumbling to grab his phone out of his pocket. "I-I need an ambulance, now."