Eighteen

"How is she doing?"

"How is she doing?"

"Nothing much has changed." It was Marianne at the other end of the line back home in California. "She'll be fine."

"I don't like the sound of that." Seth breathed. "I'll be on the next plane to San Francisco right now."

"And that will change absolutely nothing. The nurses here still have everything under control and I got you."

"I need to be by her side, Annie. I'm her only family and this is the time she needs me the most!"

"Will you relax?" Marianne snapped right back. "I get it, your mother is out of it and you want to be there for her like the good son that you are. But, you being here will change nothing at all. Don't beat yourself too hard, Seth. Try to rest on your off days, after all we barely get any."

Seth sighed heavily. "Promise me you'll update me every now and again." His voice was cracking inside his throat.

"I promise babe," Marianne said reassuringly. "So how's your zaddy boyfriend?"

Seth quickly threw a discreet glance at Leonardo who was busy refueling a rental Bugatti in preparation for their two hours plus road trip to Milan.

"Are you still there?" Seth blinked.

He spoke in a low voice. "We both know he's not my boyfriend."

"Yet." Marianne said and Seth rolled his eyes.

"Once he knows the skeletons I'm keeping inside my closet he'll leave and I won't be able to get over it."

Marianne practically screamed in frustration, drawing a visible grimace on Seth's face. "Are you kidding me right now? The guy is so much into you, don't you see? Stop assuming stuff!"

Seth was not taking any of this discussion seriously which explained his laughter. "Don't start with that signs crap. It literally took a full year for you to embrace the undeniable chemistry between you and Ed."

"It's not even funny anymore Seth. You've been sleeping with the same guy for more than a month now, your face lights up whenever his name is mentioned and I'll not even start describing how you look at him. And right now you're going to his hometown? This is a big deal!"

Seth dropped his phone inside a Doritos bag just to mess up the connection. "Such a goddamn drama queen." Maybe I am the drama? He sighed to himself.

For a while Seth stared into space contemplating Marianne's words. He simply did not have that kind of luxury, his mother was not doing too good. Seth was worried sick and thanks to Marianne he now had too much on his plate to digest.