Sixteen

Dr

Dr. Hahn, the CEO of Sullivan Hospital stood in her office frozen as she heard furious footsteps approaching.

She slowly blinked, taking in the hostile scene of Dr. Bravucci firing toward her direction. Instinctively she wanted to throw both her hands up as a call for cease fire. Leonardo Bravucci looked extremely pissed off.

"You went for a press conference and claimed to take in an adult spinal conjoined twin separation behind my back? Who the hell do you think you are?"

"You need to calm down, Leonardo."

"Calm down?"

She nodded stiffly. "You heard me."

Dr. Bravucci chuckled humorlessly, his expression slowly drifting to a heated scowl. "Well, start talking then."

"Are you going to just stand there? Please grab a seat."

"I'd rather not." Dr. Bravucci could be hellish when prompted. One hell of a stubborn man-child. He was being difficult and he knew it.

Dr. Hahn released a long defeated dry heave. "Very well then, if you insist."

On the other hand Dr. Bravucci was utterly irritated by the woman's slowness, she was unnecessarily dragging. "Do you mind? I have an important surgery in like—" he paused to take a glance on his watch. "—forty-five minutes."

"Take a quick look at this," Dr. Hahn passed an iPad over her rich mahogany furniture for the Italian surgeon's perusal. "Fifteen year old healthy boys, Antonio and Elio De Luca. They deserve more to life, don't you think?"

The incredulous frown on Dr. Bravucci's face was still intact as he observed the grinning conjoined twins on the iPad. "We can't take this case, there's too much risk. They could both end up dead and that is a risk I'm not willing to put on anyone."

"Well, unfortunately for you this case was not up for debate Dr. Bravucci. You're going to mobilize your best team and come this Friday, you'll be flying to Italy, Venice to be more precise. The hospital will be taking care of all the expenses incurred."

Leonardo let out a chuckle that shook his whole upper body. This woman can't be serious, right? "Are you out of your mind? Those kids are not experimental guinea pigs! This is all about prestige, isn't it?"

Dr. Hahn was silent for a moment, musing. "I'd say it's all about prestige but that's not it. We all took an oath. Do you know how many surgeons have turned them down? Can you at least try putting yourself in those twins' shoes for once?"