Chapter 49: Let Her Go

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Enjoy :]

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 49: Let Her Go
_________________________________

"Could you pass the syrup, Rei?" said Usagi.

The priestess nodded, her mouth full of scrambled eggs, and handed the bottle of maple syrup to her friend.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

Everyone was gathered around the rectangular table in the palace's dining room for breakfast. It was noon before everyone had woken up and wandered out with grumbling stomachs, but Chibi-Usa insisted on having pancakes for lunch, so breakfast it was.

Everybody was seated in their usual spots; Kakyuu at the head, surrounded by Taiki, Yaten, and Seiya. Usagi usually sat next to Seiya, but this morning Chibi Chibi was between them, with Chibi-Usa on Usagi's other side. Diana was perched on her owner's shoulder. Next to Chibi-Usa was Hotaru, then Setsuna and Mamoru. Haruka and Michiru were on the opposite end, the furthest away. Across the table were Ami, Makoto, Rei, and finally Minako, who was beside her girlfriend as well.

Usagi drizzled the sweet liquid over her stack of flapjacks, passing it back to Rei when she was finished.

"You sure seem to be in a good mood this morning, Rei," she chirped. Usually by this point Rei would have jabbed at her about how much food she was eating. But all through breakfast she hadn't uttered a single mean comment. In fact, Usagi had even heard her humming to herself, a song called "Flame Sniper".

"Oh yeah? Do you have a problem with that, Usagi?"

"Of course not," she said quickly. "I'm glad. You should act this way more often, Rei. I like it."

Rei lowered her chin. "Ha! Don't count on it. I'm only being nice 'cause you went through so much yesterday, I figured you could use a break."

It was half true. The real reason for Rei's high spirits was because she'd finally confessed to Minako. She was no longer tied down with the burden of carrying those repressed feelings around anymore. Sure it still stung knowing she couldn't have Minako for herself, but she'd be lying if that kiss didn't make her crave more, but nonetheless, she felt free. All she ever wanted was for her best friend to be happy, and she knew Yaten was the only person who could do that for her. Rei had accepted that graciously.

"Well, either way, I'm glad you're in a good mood." Usagi shoveled in a forkful of buttermilk pancakes.

"Good mood," Chibi Chibi echoed. She nibbled tiny bites from the chocolate doughnut in her hand.

"That's right, Chibi Chibi," Usagi said, patting the toddler's strawberry-colored hair.

Chibi Chibi giggled appreciatively, waving her little hands wildly in the air. The doughnut slipped out of her fingers and soared through the air. Over the pitcher of juice and across the plate of toast, to the other side of the table... Splat!

Yaten blinked. Her mouth popped open as the pastry slid down the side of her face. It landed on the table with a plop.

Usagi gasped and Seiya burst out laughing. Taiki slapped her hand over her face, sniggering into her palm. Even Kakyuu bit back a smile. Everyone else was speechless.

"Chibi Chibi!" Chibi Chibi squealed delightfully, giggling and pointing at the silver-haired Starlight across from her.

"Not funny." Yaten reached for a cloth napkin and wiped the chocolate frosting off her cheek. The corner of her lip edged up a bit, and it was apparent even she was fighting a smile.