Chapter 5: Inside the Sunlit Garden

Wavering Destiny

by Strawberry Moon Rose

Title of this chapter from the beautiful piano song from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 5: Inside the Sunlit Garden
_________________________________

After breakfast, everyone split up. Taiki showed Ami the palace's library while Minako insisted Yaten show her the music room. Seiya decided to give Usagi, Rei, and Makoto a tour of the large garden. They walked down a stone path, surrounded by greenery and blooming flowers of all unique shapes and sizes. The sunlight shone on their backs, warming the morning. The sweet fragrance of plants hung in the air.

"Oh Seiya, what are these called?" Makoto asked, "they're lovely!" She rubbed the purple petals between her fingers. They felt like velvet.

"Those are Lisoisas," Seiya answered. "At least, I think. Better check with Taiki."

"I wish we had these on Earth!" Makoto exclaimed. Her excitement was contagious as she bounced from plant to plant, kneeling and peering to examine them all.

"It smells so nice out here," Rei said.

"Hey, Rei! Come look at these ones! They almost look like flames!" Makoto called.

"Really?" Rei and Makoto continued on. The faint trickle of a nearby fountain added to the tranquility. One of the palace's gardener's slipped by, pulling a wagon full of bags of mulch and fertilizer.

"What do you think of the garden?" Seiya asked, turning to Usagi. She was taking everything in with a grin on her face.

Usagi bent and brought her nose to an alluring pink flower, breathing in its fruit-like scent. "Everything is so pretty! You're so lucky. I would love to live here."

"You could. The Princess would let you," Seiya said.

"Huh?"

Seiya's expression turned serious. She closed the distance between them. "You can stay here."

"I..." Usagi gazed into Seiya blue eyes. Is she serious? I can't tell...

Seiya reached out and placed her hand on Usagi's cheek. She sighed. "Of course, you couldn't do that, I know. You have important people on Earth."

Usagi was quiet.

"Don't look so serious, I was only half-joking," Seiya lied. She smiled playfully for good measure.

Usagi felt very relaxed. She blamed it on the enchanting floral scent, but Seiya's hand on her face left her feeling content. Why do I feel so at peace right now? Such a natural feeling. It's nice...

Seiya knelt, then held up a flower in her hands. She offered Usagi the red rozamoku. "Here, Bun Head," she said. "For you."

Usagi accepted the flower. "Thank you, Seiya. It's lovely." Her voice was small.

Seiya blushed, faintly. "It's nothing." She took the flower out of Usagi's hand and fastened it to one of her buns. "What kind of a person would I be if I took you here without giving you a flower?"

Usagi smiled at the ground. Why can't I look at her right now? What's wrong with me?

Seiya reached for her hand. She intertwined their fingers and leaned in close to her. There were only inches between their faces. "Let's catch up with the them," she whispered.