Chapter 21: One Step at a Time

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Twenty one chapters already! Wow! Originally this story was planned to be about fifty-ish chapters, but we'll see where it takes us...

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 21: One Step at a Time
_________________________________

"Seiya..." Usagi gasped.

The Starlight leaned weakly against the door frame with one hand clutching her stomach. The look on her face told them she wasn't expecting to walk into the bathroom and see Usagi crumpled on the floor with a tear-stained face.

"Um, Seiya," said Rei, "could you...give us a minute?"

Seiya nodded in a daze. Their blue eyes met and Usagi looked away, embarrassed. It was bad enough crying in front of Rei, let alone to have Seiya see her in this state. It was almost worse than the time she broke down on the rooftop in the rain in front of Seyia. No, I take that back. Nothing was worse than that. Still, she lowered her head, blonde bangs falling to hide her eyes.

Seiya walked faintly back into bedroom.

Rei watched her from the doorway, making sure she made it back okay. When she saw Seiya get into bed, she pulled the bathroom door shut and returned to her friend.

"Rei!" Usagi cried. "She heard it all! I know she did!" The floodgates opened again.

"We don't know that. And if she did...well, you were going to tell her about this at some point, right? And tell her how you feel? Now's the chance."

"No. I can't face her now."

"Yes you can. You have to."

Usagi sniffled. "No, I can't! Did you see the look on her face? I just can't-"

Rei brought her hand to Usagi's lips, silencing her. Her expression softened as she leaned in. "Seiya...you love her, don't you?" she whispered.

Usagi nodded without hesitation.

With her index finger, she gently raised Usagi's chin. "Then you need to tell her," Rei said, "you need to tell her your feelings before it's too late. Things like that...shouldn't be left unsaid."

Usagi swallowed back a protest. "Rei...but she already h-heard," she choked out.

"You don't know that for sure. Usagi, I have to go now. The others will be wondering where I'm at." She dropped her hands and began to stand.

Panic flooded her face. "Rei, but I-"

"You can do it, Usagi. Just be honest, okay? You two can work something out about Mamoru together. You don't deserve to keep that bottled up inside of you. Seiya's part of this too now, and you need to tell her how you feel." She extended her hand and helped her princess to her feet.

"Thank you..."

"You're welcome." Rei leaned in and brushed back her golden bangs. She kissed her softly on the forehead. "Good luck," she whispered.

Usagi blushed shyly. Her insides felt warm and fuzzy whenever Rei was being nice to her. She wished she would act that way more often, as opposed to her usual, annoying persona.

"Hey, Rei?" Usagi called after her.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for not being mad. I didn't think...you'd understand so quickly."