Chapter 36: Things Will Never Be the Same

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

For each of you who leave comments, thank you so much! It means more than you think to me :)

Enjoy =)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 36: Things Will Never Be the Same
_________________________________

"Usagi! Phone's for you!" Minako's mother called from the kitchen.

Usagi exchanged glances with Minako. They were sitting side by side on the couch watching TV.

"It's probably my mom," Usagi said, standing up. "We're supposed to be getting home from our trip any day now. I should have called her earlier."

Minako nodded and turned back to the TV. She was sitting with her knees to her chest. She hugged the blanket they'd been sharing closer to her tired body.

Usagi walked around the corner into the kitchen. Minako's mother smiled at her and offered her the telephone.

She was an older version of her daughter. The woman wore her curly hair back in a ponytail and had bright eyes. As strange as it was, her personality was similar to Usagi's own mom, Ikuko. If she wasn't so depressed, she would have found that comforting.

Covering the bottom speaker with her hand, Minako's mother said in a low voice, "I'm not sure who it is Usagi, but he sounds desperate."

Usagi nodded and accepted the phone from her. She was certain it was her father, overreacting as usual when she hadn't called. Pressing the device to her ear, she waited until Minako's mother was around the corner before she spoke.

"Dad, I'm sorry I hadn't called yet, I was going to-"

"Usako, I want to speak with you."

Usagi froze. She found herself wrapping her finger around the coiled telephone cord. She hadn't been expecting to hear Mamoru on the line. She wasn't sure how to feel about that.

"Y-yeah?"

"Can you meet me now? I think we need to talk."

"I... I don't know. It's almost supper time, that'd be kinda rude to just-"

"Please don't make excuses. You've been ignoring me long enough, don't you think? Let's just meet face to face. I'll be waiting at the park by the bench. You know the spot. See you there in ten minutes."

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Usagi pulled the phone away from her ear and stared at it blankly. She swallowed, her stomach tightening up. They did need to talk. He deserved that much.

"Who was that, Usagi?" Minako poked her head around the corner.

Usagi forced a smile. "Just my dad," she lied. "He's really worried I didn't call him when we got back. I think I'd better go talk to him in person and explain."

Minako frowned and looked at her wrist. "But it's almost suppertime, can it wait?"

"I know, and I'm really sorry, Minako. But he sounded pretty urgent. I'll just sort things out and come right back, 'kay?"

Minako gave her a skeptical glance. "I can come with you if you want. It's getting awfully dark out..."

"No!" Usagi bit her lip, not meaning for it to come out so sharp. She regretted watching the recoil on her friend's face.