Chapter 20: Burning Up and Breaking Down

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Kind of random, but I've always been interested in what dreams mean. You know, understanding what it signifies if you dream you're falling or what it means to see a cat in your dream.

Note: To dream of burning indicates that there is a situation you cannot avoid any longer.

Now, enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 20: Burning Up and Breaking Down
_________________________________

Usagi was on fire.

It was getting harder to breathe through the suffocating air. It burned every inch of her body. But something was off - there was no eye-watering smoke, no fringed scent. But the scalding feeling encircled her, making her break a sweat.

Blue eyes popped open. Pound. Pound. Usagi's heart was racing so hard, it felt like it might break through her chest.

Morning sunshine flooded in through the windows, lighting up the bedroom. Usagi was lying in Seiya's massive bed, wrapped up in her arms. She was safe. I'm okay. There is no fire. It was just a dream.

But it was still uncomfortably hot for some reason. Usagi wriggled out of Seiya's arms and kicked off her blankets. Seiya was fast asleep. She instinctively reached out after Usagi. Her bangs, tinted blue from the morning glow, were ruffled in a silly way.

"Good morning," she whispered. Usagi brushed her bangs with her fingertips, then drew them back in surprise at the warmth.

She pressed her hand against Seiya's forehead. She was burning up. A closer inspection, and she found Seiya was covered in a cold sweat.

She realized now why she had woken up so feeling so warm - Seiya was the fire.

"Mm..." Seiya rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand.

"Seiya, I think you have a fever."

"I do?" Her voice was scratchy, like she'd been yelling at the top of her lungs for three hours.

"I'm sure of it. Your face is kind of red too."

"Oh. That's...not good," she croaked.

Usagi winced. "Your voice..."

"I probably just need a drink of water..." She sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed, she stood to make her way to the bathroom. Usagi crawled to the edge after her.

"Wait-"

Seiya ignored her. Her ears rang and the room began to sway. Blotches of colors spotted her vision, making her stumble backwards.

"Seiya!" Usagi was right behind her. She gripped Seiya's arms, steadying her from behind. Holding her upright, she could feel the heat radiating from her body.

"Are you okay?" Usagi asked, panicky.

Seiya blinked a few times, waiting for her vision to clear. "Yeah... Maybe I should sit down..." She brought her hand to her temple.

"That's a probably a good idea." Usagi lingered close as Seiya lowered herself back onto the bed. She helped her carefully, so she didn't fall. "Just lay down, I'll bring you some water. And where's the thermometer at?"

"Third drawer on the left," Seiya choked out. She eased down and slowly rested her head back onto the pillow. Usagi hurried into the Starlight's connecting bathroom.