Chapter 40: Opening of the Yellow Rose

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Yaten is one of my favorite characters. She's far from perfect, I love her for that.

I forgot to upload chapter 38: Ready or Not
Just posted it, so be sure to read that one before continuing if you haven't already!

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 40: Opening of the Yellow Rose
_________________________________

Usagi knocked three times on Yaten's door.

There was always something about Yaten that made her feel self-conscious. She crossed her fingers that the Starlight wouldn't be too grumpy to find she had a visitor.

Lightning flared in through a window above her. Usagi bit her lip and hugged her midsection tightly. It wasn't lightning she feared, but the horrid sounds that followed.

POW!

Usagi screamed. She couldn't help it, it just slipped out.

A hand suddenly came down over her mouth, deadening the sound.

"Shh! Be quiet, would you? Sheesh..." Yaten dropped her hand from Usagi's mouth and wiped it on the side of her pajamas in disgust.

"S-sorry." Usagi was startled to see her there, she hadn't even heard the door open. Her heart was booming like crazy, adrenaline pumping vigorously through her veins.

Yaten crossed her arms. "What're you doing here? I thought you went with Seiya."

"No. I...um...wanted to talk to you."

Yaten stared at her blankly. "Me?" she repeated.

Usagi nodded.

She stared at her for a few seconds longer, as if the blonde's expression would give something away. Finding nothing, Yaten sighed and stepped aside, letting her in.

"Make it quick."

"Thanks." Usagi entered. The scent of lilacs hung in the cool air. It smelt so nice, Usagi breathed in three large gulps, filling her lungs with the sweet fragrance.

Only the lamps along the walls were on, offering warm, bursts of light. They looked like stars in a velvet sky. It reminded her of Hotaru's bedroom.

Throughout the shadows, she made out a large, unmade bed. She saw an outline of a dresser and an elaborate vintage vanity with cosmetics strewed across the top in organized chaos.

Yaten pulled the door shut behind her. She walked around and stood before her, making it clear Usagi wasn't allowed to come in any further.

"What do you want?"

Usagi let out a nervous laugh. "Oh, you know, just dropping by..."

"Do you honestly expect me to believe that?"

A sweat drop eased down the back of Usagi's head. She noticed Yaten was wearing pajamas too. It made her feel more comfortable that they were in similar apparel, as if it somehow brought them to the same level.

The Starlight wore a loose button-up top and silky bottoms. Gold embroidered the sleeves and sparkled like sunshine when she placed her dainty hands on her hips. Her petite figure seemed to swim in everything she wore. Even at a bedtime, her silver hair was glossy and neat, not a hair out of place.