Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

The next morning I was walking to school when I heard my name being called. I turned to see that it was Josh. I stopped walking and waited for him. 

"Hey." 

"Hey beautiful how you doing?" he asked. I rolled my eyes. "Don't roll your eyes. You are beautiful. Even some superficial and obnoxious like Blake knows it." 

"Fuck Blake! I'm hearing his name too much these days. Anyway you were here from yesterday. How would you know?" 

"I could see."  

"This is the second time I've heard that." 

"Michelle I'm going to tell you something that will have you offended. So I am apologising now. You are very naïve." 

I was offended, but decided it was the truth. 

"I'm 18 of course I would be naïve. No matter my ones age. You would always be considered naïve to someone who's older than you." 

"yeah, I get what you're saying but it's because of experience and being exposed to things that also make people not so ignorant about things as well." he did have a point.  

"I understand." 

"Do you visit your other family?" 

"My mother's family?" he nodded. "Yes I visit them. If it wasn't for them. I wouldn't have anything to look forward to." 

"How's your mother's family?" I smiled when he asked this.  

"They're crazy! But I love them. I like the neighbourhood they live in. there is some sort of activity happening. Being it that people play their music loud, people arguing, fighting dancing. Some people would say what do expect from the ghetto. But I like it. One also has to consider the dangers but at least I am aware of that these happen." Wow that was a mouthful. 

"You see. Now why aren't you more observant of things in this town?" 

"I am observant." 

"No you're not. I haven't been here long but I've noticed things." 

"Of course you would you're new here. You would see things with a different eye." 

"Yeah, but I also noticed things that are quite obvious which you are oblivious to." I shook my head. "Don't believe me? I'll show you." 

We were nearing the school and I turned right. He frowned and asked why I was going that way when the gate was straight ahead.  

"This is how I get into school without being noticed." 

"Okay!" 

We walked to the back gate and it was open. No one was there so we entered. We walked to the door that had an exit sign above it. 

"The emergency exit?" I nodded. "Well lead the way then." He opened the door and let me go in. we went up the stairs. I opened the door and we came out where the lockers were. 

"This is neat and no one is here yet. You also used this when you go home?"  

"yeah." I smiled. 

"Thanks for letting me in on this. I will definitely be using this if you don't mind." 

"I don't mind. It's not even mine." 

We walked to my locker and noticed his was next to mine. As I got my out my books, people started entering and going to their lockers. From the corner of my eye I noticed a few people who were surprised to see me. I heard a bit of the conversation when they walked past.