Taking it slow (interracial)

Chapter 1 

This is just great! Notice the sarcasm. My name is Michelle. I'm 18 years old, a senior in high school. I'm very normal looking with dull brown curly hair, medium brown colored skin. I'm short in length and have light brown eyes. (Seems to be the only thing different about me.) 

My mother Merissa passed away 3 years ago. My stepfather John adopted me when they were married. He is Caucasian, he and my mother had my younger brother Jamal. Jamal looks completely different from me he is light-skinned, blue eyes and black curly hair. He is very attractive. People don't believe the fact that he's my brother; he actually gives that impression that we're not brother and sister. We don't have a good relationship. 

We moved to this small town of hillcrest after my mom died. John couldn't cope with the pressures of the city anymore, while being a single parent as well. I see John as my father he and mom met when I was just a few months old and they fell in love and he took care of us. They had gotten married and had Jamal he is 16 now. John has treated us equally; he never gave Jamal more preference because he is his biological son. Jamal is the trouble-maker. I try to behave because John had adopted me and I felt that it wouldn't be fair towards him if I was rebellious. I'm more of an introvert where Jamal is an extrovert and likes to cause trouble. 

We both attend Hillcrest High. I'm the shy, unpopular type who gets teased, while Jamal is popular, quarterback football player. I'm just average in academics and sports. I don't have any friends while everyone wants to be Jamal's friend. The other thing I don't want to bring up but an obvious issue is that I'm African American. There aren't many other races the majority are white. I* get stereotyped a lot and hear subtle racial slurs. It bothered me in the beginning but I just started to accept it. Jamal was more Caucasian looking so he was never made fun of. With all these reasons we don't have a good relationship, he even makes fun of me with his friends. My wonderful life! 

Today was a very busy day with gossip about an old student Blake who came back. He had been a trouble-maker he had also teased me. I had a crush on him but after all the teasing, I couldn't care less who he was I didn't like as a person anymore. He had been sent away to some school where they help with troubled teens. (That place would be perfect for Jamal). From what I was hearing they seem to accept his arrival with praise. 

It was lunch break and I made my way to the empty table that I always sat alone in the far corner. Someone made a comment about me and laughed. I just ignored them. Jaime-Lee had other plans though. This bitch was so annoying she always had to be loud to get attention; luckily she doesn't have an annoying high pitched voice. She did have the other usual stereotypes. She was head cheerleader, typical Barbie with the blonde hair, slim body, blue eyes and being a total bitch. 

"Aah Blake don't ever talk to her remember you said you would be infected with nerd." She then laughed; I forgot her laugh was high pitched though. 

Everybody laughed but seemed to cringe. I bowed my head hiding my smile; most people thought I was going to cry. PLEASE! I got over that a long time ago. I stated looking on the tile on the floor which had a weird pattern. During this time someone else made a comment about breaking glasses breaking with laughs and everyone started laughing again. So I put my elbow on the table and hid my head so that no one could see I was laughing. I lifted my head and looked to where Jaime-Lee, her friends Rachael and Bianca were sitting. I still had a smile on my face until I saw Blake staring at me. He still looked the same, brown curly hair, turquoise colored eyes, well built like a football player, muscles everywhere and tanned skin, I am just glad I was immune to it. I saw he grinned so he caught me but I just rolled my eyes and looked away. I heard Jaime ask him who was he looking at he said no one.