3: Memories

" You're nuts." Cara watched as Natalie threw some clothes into a suitcase.

" Yep." Natalie nodded.

" And dumb."

" Oh yeah."

" And a major procrastinator." Cara added.

" Noted." Natalie agreed.

" Should you be flying?" JoJo sat on Natalie's bed.

" I'm not that pregnant." Natalie laughed.

" Still." Bexley shrugged.

" I'll be fine." Natalie assured him.

" Oh, how old were you where you first became interested in boys?" Bexley asked.

" 13."

" 12."

" Who says I was?"

" JoJo, you're married...to a guy." Cara gave her a look.

" True. Why?" JoJo asked.

" Because I kinda overheard Penny and Gwen talking about a boy." Bexley shrugged.

" At least yours is sixteen. My nine year old is in love and her twin is not liking it." JoJo laughed.

" Oh, sounds fun." Natalie chuckled.

" Between their dads and their uncles, these poor girls are never getting a boyfriend." Cara smiled.

" And brothers." JoJo shook her head.

" These poor girls." Bexley laughed.

oOOo

" So, orphan, you gonna go out begging?" Brooke strolled over to Penny's locker, today she was alone.

" Brooke, do you have anything better to do?" Penny rolled her eyes.

" Oh, am I bothering you?" Brooke smirked.

" Trust me, I've dealt with worse than you." Penny closed her locker.

" Oh yeah, like your birth mom?" Brooke called after her. The hallway fell silent as Penny stopped in her tracks.

" Oh yeah, I've read all about you. Young girl gets adopted by Broadway stars after her addict mother and her boyfriend abused her for years." Brooke said.

" That was ten years ago, leave it in the past." Penny said over her shoulder.

" Oh, did I strike a nerve?" Brooke taunted.

" You are a pity party Penelope Kilns." Brooke took a step closer to her. Penny kept her back to Brooke, not giving her any satisfaction that she might be getting to her.

" You're parents, aren't even yours." Brooke sneered.

" Did you really think they wanted you? They wanted the gold star. They wanted to show the world that they adopted a broken child." Brooke loomed over her shoulder. Penny whipped around.

" Don't talk about things you don't understand." Penny's voice was soft but steady. She turned on her heel, shoving her way through the gathering crowd.

oOOo

" I can't believe she did that." Gwen hugged Penny.

" How did she even know that stuff?" Roman asked, leaning on the locker next to her.

" Nessa. She knew all that." Penny muttered.

" This is not okay, will the school do anything about it?" Roman asked.