2: Penny Hates Math

After a day of dodging the Plastics, Penny had made it to her last class of the day. Thankfully, it was English. She zoned out somewhere during the lecture, up until someone pulled at tugged at her hair. She glanced over her shoulder to face Gwen.

" Don't look now, the new kid is checking you out." Gwen whispered. Penny looked across the room to make face the new kid. He glanced away from her once she noticed. He was cute.

" And Daniel's not happy about it." Gwen added. It was true, Daniel looked like he wanted to burn a hole through the kid's head. Penny then noticed everyone else. Kimberly was soaking up every bit of information she could catch, no doubt to tell Brooke. Nessa was glaring. And Lee looked guilty, really guilty.

The ball rang, ending the school day. Penny quickly collected her stuff, making a beeline for her locker.

" Uh...hi." Penny turned to come face to face the new kid.

" Sorry for-uh-"

" Staring?" She asked drily. He swallowed awkwardly.

" Sorry, I'm Penny." She held her hand out.

" Roman." He smiled, shaking her hand.

" So, where you from?" Penny stuffed her books onto her bag.

" Connecticut." He replied.

" So you're not too far." She commented, zipping her bag.

" No, not really." He chuckled, leaning against the locker next to her. Penny glanced past him to see Daniel shooting daggers.

" Come on." Penny nodded away from her locker.

oOOo

" So," Gwen started as she and Penny navigated the subway, "I saw you flirting with Mr. New Guy."

" I wasn't flirting." Penny shook her head as they walked up the stairs, onto the streets.

" You so were." Gwen laughed.

" Why was Daniel so mad?" Penny asked, shooting a glare at some old guys who catcalled them.

" Because he likes you." Gwen grinned, linking arms with her as they reached a busier part of the sidewalk.

" I don't think that's it." Penny chuckled as they came upon her apartment complex.

" I think it is." Gwen nodded as they got into the elevator. Penny shook her head, hitting the sixth floor button.

" But he was cute." Gwen added as the elevator came to a stop.

" Roman?" Penny dug through her bag for her key.

" Ha, you think he's cute." Gwen laughed.

" I have eyes, Gwen." Penny chuckled, unlocking her front door.

" I'm home!" Penny shouted as she walked into the main room.

" Penny!" Jackie toddler into the room.

" Hey Jack." Penny grinned.

" Hey girls." Bexley smiled as she ran into the kitchen, pulling her hair into a ponytail.

" You good mom?" Penny watched as Bexley filled a water bottle.

" Well, Tonya has a family emergency, which means I'm going on for her tonight. But there was a few others who called out sick, and there's not enough swings to fill the roles, so now we all need to go reblock the entire show." Bexley spit out.

" Is dad at the theatre?" Penny lifted Jackie onto her hip.

" No, he's picking up Ana and the other kids. But I have to get Jackie ready to go within the next ten minutes." Bexley rushed around.