karl

Pink Duck

First-person, written by Shiro

"So you brought me here for any specific reason?", I asked Karl

Karl and I had been bestfriends since middle school, we had both gone through anything and everything together. Even our cringey styles.

Holding my hand and leading me to a pond next to a park Karl said, "Nope, I just think you'd like the place"

"Very thoughtful", I said, "but why a pond? I've never talked about ponds ever"

Karl looked at me with excitement, "Take this", and handed me a piece of bread

"Bread?"

"Yes, bread. Now rip a chunk off"

"Alright captain"

I ripped off a chunk of the bread, even though I really wanted to eat it, I had to resist. He looked at me, then back at the pond, then at me. Trying to get my attention and it was working.

"Look look!", Karl exclaimed, grabbing my arm and shaking me, almost making me drop the bread

"What? Oh. WHAAAAAT?!", I shrieked

Right in the middle of the pond was a pink duck. You heard it. A. Pink. Duck. It swam around the pond, dipping its head in the water ever so often.

"You like it?", Karl asked me

"I mean, yeah! It's quite different from what I expected"

"Now feed it some of your bread!"

Following his instructions, I took the ripped chunk of bread and threw it into the pool. The pink duck noticed and swam to the bread, eating it whole.

"That's just so adorable", I said to Karl

"I knew you'd like it!"

Staring at the duck I then realized something I should've noticed from the beginning. Why is there a pink duck in the pond, and how did the duck get pink.

"Karl..."

"Yeah Y/N?", Karl said, noticing my sudden shift in tone

"How'd you know that there was a PINK duck here?"

"Um, uh, hmmm"

Looking at him, it was very easy to see that he was hiding something. This mischievous motherfucker.

"Karl. Did you dye the duck pink and bring it to this pond?"

"Well..."