Chapter Thirty-Seven: Juniper Channing

I thought it would be awkward hanging out in a mansion owned by a person I've known for a few weeks but it's not. So far we've been here for a night and we've spent the entire day getting personally pampered by very expensive spa attendants. Well, everyone except Cassidy. She had her hair and nails done but couldn't go any further than that without Breaker here to keep her calm so she's been happily chatting away with some of the guards while we were massaged.

My body feels like jelly in the best way though it was absolutely mortifying when the masseuse spotted the hickeys on a large portion of my body. I felt a lot better when the others also mentioned the same problem. "So, clubbing tonight?" Riley asks a mimosa in her hand and a smile on her face.

I don't think she's been completely sober from the second we left the clubhouse, she started drinking the minute she got into the limo and hasn't stopped since except to sleep. Her tolerance must be sky high considering her cognisance. "Fine, we'll have to go to the one on the corner though as it's smack bang in between both territories and I will have to bring at least ten guards with me or Matias will kill me."

"I like that club and your guards so whatever." Riley shrugs and pours herself another drink. Apparently, Lucia has called in her 'glam squad' to come and get us all ready to go out on the lash and we drink fruity cocktails as we wait for them to turn up.

I'm feeling a buzz by the time they do, a volley of people walk in with suitcases and massive carry cases, enough for two people per woman and my two sets up around the chair I've been in for the last hour or so. "High cheekbones, big eyes, and long hair. Thinking something dark?" The hairstylist asks the makeup artist while I sit between them like a lemon.

"Definitely something smoky and sexy, I'm gonna go all out with the makeup so do something calm with the hair to counterbalance it. Maybe curls?" The hairstylist agrees and they both get to work prepping and styling me in silence. I stay as still as possible and find myself sobering up without being able to neck the pitcher of cocktails that was given to me over an hour ago.

I'm only halfway through it so I'm going to have to down it while Lucia chooses our outfits from her closet. I saw it late last night and it was filled with expensive brands that I've been wearing since I could walk. Sadly, even some of my mom's pieces found their way into the room and it took all of my self-restraint to not take a pair of scissors to each item.

"All done!" I sigh in relief and thank both of my stylists, they start packing away and I spot the others still in the middle of their sessions.

"Why don't you go look in the closet? You can pick out your outfit!" Lucia tells me and I agree if just to escape the awkward silence the room has descended into. I head up the grand staircase with a small bounce in my step to spin around into the room filled to capacity with incredible garments.

I finger through a few of them and sigh, they're all so beautiful. I spot the dress on the mannequin and tears gather in my eyes. I modelled it for a show a few years ago and I loved it, my mother was in such a good mood that day and she gave me a compliment that sticks with me even now. She even said that she designed it for me, that everything - even the colour - was made to compliment my skin tone and body type.

I brush my fingers over the ivory silk, remembering the sensation of it against my midthigh as I walked the runway. "You know I bought that dress when I saw it on you, Juniper." I jump four feet in the air as Lucia steps into the room. "I knew I recognised you though I didn't know where from. You were so confident in that dress that I wanted some of it for me... however, it does not fit me the way it fits you."

"My mother said she designed it for me alone... I never did believe her." I sniffle softly, sliding my fingers down the long sleeves and stopping at the wrist where it tightens into a cuff.