𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

☆☆☆

☆☆☆

Ennoshita was one of those kids. What kind, you may ask, well let me explain. He was a very perspective person. He tends to notice tiny details about people and the environment around him. Ennoshita believed it was because he grew up watching too many crime shows and documentaries. Shows that pointed out every little thing too often. Just as one takes the personality trait of an anime character, Ennoshita did the same but from detectives for some reason as if he was crazy. 

For example, the boy that sat in front of him left class for the bathroom at exactly 11:44 am every day after chugging 2 water bottles. And then there was the girl that sat in the back of the class chewed on her eraser every time they got a new worksheet that she had slept through the lesson for.

This little detail about him sometimes left Ennoshita questioning why he did it. He had better things to focus on, like whatever test they had next week that he forgot about or maybe applying it to volleyball so he could get off the bench for once. But times like this, where one of his closest friends was suffering, was a time when Ennoshita really let this skill take the frontline.

It started off small, so small that Ennoshita thought it was just a trick of the eye until the signs became more apparent. At first, Y/n had stopped socializing during volleyball practices. Though most of the members expressed their concerns while changing after practices, they never asked her about it since they were so busy getting ready for the huge shadow that was preliminaries. Which Ennoshita could definitely understand because most of these boys only had a few brain cells and they were all dedicated to playing volleyball.

Then slowly, Y/n stopped showing up altogether. It seemed like no one noticed, felt like nothing changed but without his biggest supporter, Ennoshita's confidence went down extremely. She was a big supporter for all of the boys, more so for the ones with lower self-confidence as she wanted them to believe in the potential that they had.

One day, Hinata had approached Ennoshita with an expression of worry. It was a Friday and everyone knew that Y/n had nothing going on but it seemed that Hinata was the only one wondering where the short female was. Ennoshita could tell that the other three first years were wondering as well but due to their tough-guy personas and Yamaguchi's loyalty to Tsukishima, they stood to the side and eavesdropped.

Ennoshita only wished that he had an answer for the boys. To help ease their nerves before the preliminaries but he had no answers and only questions himself. Whenever he had tried to approach Y/n, she'd end up talking to the girls in the band, completely ignoring Ennoshita's attempt at a conversation. He felt as if this was punishment for all those times where he had done the same.

This went on for a month. This ignoring game that Y/n was playing with the boys' volleyball club. It's not like anyone cared besides the three benched boys. Everyone else had pushed Y/n to the back of their heads, even Nishinoya who lived with her.

Finally, the three benched boys had finally cornered Y/n in her classroom as soon as everyone else had left for the day. "Where have you been?" Kinoshita asked sitting on her desk as he did before this whole mess happened.

"Around," Y/n said dryly. She made eye contact with Ennoshita over Narita's shoulder and stared at him, hoping that he would drag the other two away like he normally did. This time, however, Y/n could tell that he wasn't going to do anything until he got an answer from her. His eyes held frustration, a word that is too hard to spell, something that she hadn't seen coming from him since the time Kinoshita failed his history exam because he had fallen asleep during it.

The three musketeers stood there like the emoji men they were, glancing at one another until someone confronted their female friend. None of them wanted to since they weren't known for being confident, ie. check any episode of this volleyball anime and show me 1 scene per boy where they are confident, if it can't be done, then my point is proven.

Narita looked back at Y/n and handed her the small box that was in his hands. While Y/n stood there in confusion, the Tanaka rip-off or Narita if you may, simply gazed at her. "Your birthday was a week ago, did you think we'd forget about it?" He asked, ready to burst into tears if Y/n didn't word her next sentence right.

Y/n cradled the box in her arms, looking down at it as if it was going to disappear. The boys finally realized that she had accepted that she wasn't going to get anything for her birthday. She had just turned 17, which doesn't seem like a lot but the knowledge that they're graduating the next year scares her way too much. Knowing that all of your friends are going in different directions and you may not see them ever again lurks in the back of her head. 

"Thank you guys," Y/n whispered, still rocking the box like the crazy character I made her be. "This is so sweet." Her voice was shaky and cracked as if she was a teenage boy. The box rattled back and forth as her body shook as if she was a lamp in an earthquake.

None of the boys could react fast enough as Y/n cried in front of them. Her sobs echoed through the empty classroom, only being muffled by Ennoshita's shirt once he launched forward to comfort her. With each sob into his chest, Ennoshita's heart broke, the pieces being washed away with her tears. Was this all because of him? Did he do something or was it another boy?  Of course, the reason why Y/n was like this came to him at the last minute. 

"It's Tanaka, isn't it?"

☆☆☆

Unedited bc I'm tired 💕