29. Dealing with the Aftermath

A/N: Ian and Sara to jog your memories :)

After my sobs stopped, Aedyn softly wiped away my tears. 

"Cole went on a run. There's nothing he can do here, and I promised we'd let him know the moment there is anything to know." I nodded absentmindedly, and Aedyn pulled me so my head was resting on his shoulder. 

"Listen, it may sound cruel, but Jess was always going to die if Luke is really this crazy. It wasn't your fault." 

"How can you say that? She died because of something I asked her to do. She signed our marriage papers so that Luke couldn't hurt me anymore, and she died because of it." 

He rubbed the back of my neck trying to calm me down. 

"Because if he was so willing to kill his mate, there always would have been a reason for him to do it. He would have gotten angry about her being late, or dinner, something, anything, and it would have been enough. At least she died for a good cause, and now the three of you can carry on her legacy instead of dying with her." I started crying, and he pulled my head into his lap, wrapping his arms around my head, shielding me from the world. 

He was right, I know he was, but it didn't make it hurt any less. 

"They can still join the pack, right? I mean that's the reason we've been holding off the luna ceremony, so we can all be inducted together?" Aedyn rubbed my back. 

"Princess, that's the last thing on my mind right now. But yes, they are still more than welcome to join the pack, especially since one of them is Cole's mate. But we don't have to worry about the ceremony right now. I'll make an announcement for then, just like I did for you." 

I sighed, that concern off my shoulders, even though I knew what his answer was going to be. 

I needed to hear it from him. I turned so I was laying across the chairs, my head still in Aedyn's lap so I could stare at the ceiling. 

"Lacy is the blonde one. She's Cole's mate. Sara is the redhead. She's-" I paused. "She's Luke's biological daughter. Her mom is the one that died." Aedyn played with my hair. 

"We all grew up together. Lacy is the Beta's daughter, so our families were close. I always thought that her parents didn't know about how violent Luke was, but based on what she told me, I guess they always thought it was justified." I sighed. "She sounded so heartbroken when she told me what they said about Jess. Lacy was always one of my biggest protectors. It was her idea for me to run away, you know, she saved up and bought me perfume to hide my scent, and she was always brave for me." I started crying again, my body numb as the tears slid down my face. 

Aedyn wiped my face with his sleeve. 

"I'll have to thank her myself then." I gave him a small smile. 

"Sara always felt guilty, that it was me and not her. I never knew how to tell her I was happy it wasn't her who got hit. She was always so soft, and innocent, and kind, and it would have broken my heart to see him hit her. She is really like a sister to me. Well, I guess they both are." I sniffled, and Aedyn's hand slowly stroked my cheek.