30. Just Kill Me on the Spot

Lacy was the first one to say anything, her voice quiet. 

"Mate?" Cole nodded at her but didn't make any sign of moving. 

We all turned to Sara to see how she would react, but when I looked at her I noticed her eyes absent-mindedly staring at a wall. 

"Sara?" I walked towards her, but as I did, tears started falling from her face. "Sara, it's okay. He's not going to hurt you, I promise." She still couldn't look at me, and I waved my hand across her face, but she was completely unresponsive. Suddenly her breathing got more erratic. 

"She's having a panic attack." I gently grabbed her shoulders and laid her down, grabbing her hand. "Sara, Sara, it's me, you're safe now. You're with me." I tried talking her out of it, but she seemed frozen. 

"Why is she having a panic attack?" Cole asked for Ian, who looked like he was fighting himself.

Before could answer, Lacy beat me to it. 

"Um, well, her father is the Alpha, and he just- he just killed her mother, his mate." Lacy stuttered as she was talking, but both the boys turned white and Ian looked like he was about to puke. 

Suddenly a chair scratched the floor as Ian grabbed a chair from the corner and sat down on the other side of the bed, opposite to me. He cautiously grabbed Sara's hand, rubbing the back of it with his thumbs. 

"Hey, beautiful, it's me. Your mate. I guess you don't know me, but my name is Ian. Um, Ian Langford." 

I went to go stop him, but he looked at me with pleading eyes. 

"Please, just let me try." I slowly nodded and he continued. 

"I have a younger brother, John, but he moved to a different pack to be with his mate already. His mate is Damon, and they're both gammas over there. My dad died a couple of months ago, so it's just me and my mom right now." He bowed his head and slowly kissed Sara's hand. "But I'm sure she's going to love you."

Sara started to relax on the bed, her eyes closing, and breathing evening out. I saw tears start to form in Ian's eyes, and my own started to water.

"I know you've been through a lot, and I'm so sorry about your mom. I know you're really scared of me, but I promise I'm not-" His voice cracked and he paused and took a couple of breaths before continuing. "I promise I'm not that kind of person. I think I would die if you ever got hurt. And I would never hurt you. But I know that my word doesn't mean anything to you right now, so believe me when I say, if I were to even think about raising a hand against you, I think every single person in this pack would just kill me on the spot." We all laughed a little bit, mainly because it was true. 

"Especially our new Luna here, she'd fuck me up before I took two steps." He leaned in to whisper to her. "I think she's kinda scary." He said it as a joke, with a twinkle in his eye, and he looked at me as he said it, and I smiled back at him. 

Even Sara smiled at his words. Suddenly she took her other hand and placed it over top his, and his eyes started glowing. 

"Thank you." Sara's voice was a little hoarse, and Ian immediately leaned over to pour her a glass of water. 

"You're more than welcome." The two of them seemed to be doing alright on their own now, so I looked over at Lacy to see how they were doing. To my surprise, Cole was sitting at the end of the bed, with his feet handing over the side, and they looked like they were having a pretty good conversation. Lacy looked a bit apprehensive, but she was looking at him, well at his chest, not his face, and answering all his questions and offering some herself.