41.

"As far as I could remember, that was what my dreams were made off. I used to describe them as being afloat in the night sky with no stars" – Alexa Turner

"As for the stars, they are always in the sky. They are always looking over you, even if you can't see them... just like me" – Jake Acardi

She

No matter how many times Matt told me everything went well and everyone included in the operation was safe, I still felt terrified. Since learning what was going to happen, and how Jake was involved, my mind was restless as my body stood paralyzed. I was wearing my fear like a second skin. Matt's words wouldn't cut it. I had to see to believe it. I had to see Jake.

When my eyes could finally feast on his figure, the fear crackled, torn into million pieces. The liberating sensation propelled me to him... literally. I jumped in his direction, and his arms caught me with ease as if they were meant to do nothing else.

"Alexa?" the bewilderment in his voice was clear, and I forced myself to give us some distance; I still let my hands grip his jacket, and he was doing the same to my arms.

"Thank God you're ok, Jake. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat. Do you know how incredibly dangerous this was? Do you think this is a movie? Have you stopped to think if something would happen to you? How that would destroy your father? And me I would..."

He bent his knees just enough to compensate for our height difference, his unique eyes squeezed in question. "Deep breaths, Alexa. Ok? You're shaking."

I nodded, noticing he was right, and I wasn't just holding onto his jacket, I was clawing at the fabric. I allowed my grip to ease without letting go completely. I wasn't ready to do that.

"How did you know...?" he didn't finish his question; his gaze searched the street for something above my shoulder. Looking back, I realized Matt's car was gone. "He told you?" indignation was showing in his voice. "That son of... did Matt tell you? Why? Is he out of his damn mind?"

I cleared my throat. "He didn't have much of a choice. It's a long story. I found out something, and one thing led to another..." I exhaled, trying to relieve some of my anxiety, realizing I didn't have a plan for the next part of our conversation. "I just have something really important to tell you, Jake. I...Oh shit. I don't know how to do this, so I'll just say it. Ok?"

I swallowed hard; he groomed his expression into a mask of calm I knew to be fake. "Matt found out about Noah, and... I saw pictures of him. He's not hurt, Jake. He was playing basketball. Noah was never paralyzed. It was all a scheme from Sean."

He took a step back, letting go of my arms, and force me to lose the hold on him at the same time, his head shaking in disbelief.

"It's true, Jake."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Yes, Jake. It's true. It was all a scheme. You didn't hurt him, you were right, you stopped in time. He is ok, Jake. Noah is as healthy as you and me."

The tips of his fingers covered his open mouth as he tilted his head to the sky in a silent scream. Jake stood like that for a while, and when he finally looked at me, I saw in him the reflection of my own emotions. Tears showing on both our faces.

"Jake.."

He pulled me towards him. My check crushed against his solid chest, his arms held me like a powerful chain. It was uncomfortable, almost painful, but I welcomed it because he was there and he was safe. I breathed him in, finding that the smell of his spicy cologne had faded from his clothes, replaced by the scent of sweat and stale cigars. Nothing about that moment reminded me of our past embraces and yet it was so familiar; my heart recognized him as home.