18.

"I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars" – Og Mandino

She

It was less than two hours from Westport to La Rosa Bay, but I had no idea how long Jake had been driving. Looking outside, at the landscape flying past the window, I was unable to recognize my surroundings, even with the sun still shining. My mind was blank, the feeling of my body disconnecting from all the problems overpowering me the moment Jake took the bag from my hands and threw it in the car's backseat. That was when I knew that this small trip had been a good idea.

There was a certain peace of mind that I could only feel when I was close to the sea. Maybe it was the constant lullaby coming from the waves, or perhaps was just a matter of perception. How deep were those waters? I couldn't tell. I couldn't see how far long the ocean extended, and by comparison, everything else seemed small, unimportant. We were just another piece of a gigantic puzzle. I guess for some people that could be unraveling; for me, it was a peaceful feeling. Plus, I had memories there, and for once, they weren't bad.

"Are we almost there?" I asked Jake, raising my voice above the sounds of the cars moving against the asphalt and the force of the wind being pushed through the windows.

He flicked his eyes from the road to me while signaling his intention of changing lanes on the road. "Yes, almost. We should be there in time for the sunset," he said with a smile.

His words gave me the urge to take a deep breath, my lungs aching for the salty and fresh scent of the ocean. But it was too soon, and only hot asphalt and rubber met my nostrils.

"Did you book somewhere for us to stay?" That could be a hard task, with so short notice and at the peak of summer.

"I know a place for us to stay, don't worry," he said, a hardly contained smile on his face. Then another idea popped into my mind. "Oh My God, Jake, we didn't stop at your uncle's house."

He shrugged his eyes focus on the review mirror "I called them to say I would be away for the weekend."

"Ok, but you didn't pack anything." I shook my head. How silly of us. "You told me to pack a bag and completely forgot about your own stuff, Jake!"

He smiled again. "I haven't forgotten. I have enough clothes for a weekend at La Rosa."

Before I could ask, he lifted his chin to a point above us on the road. Following his gesture, I saw the familiar "Welcome" sign that greeted La Rosa's visitors.

"I have my things here, and we don't need a hotel, because this is home for me." He said satisfied, "this is where I grew up. I can't believe I never told you," he said shaking his head.

I couldn't believe it either. What were the odds? I looked around, taking in the surroundings. The beaches around LaRosa used to be way more peaceful when I was a little girl. The Internet let everyone know about this little piece of heaven; the scenery was definitely Instagram-worthy.

I saw the big avenue that lead to the sea just in front of us, but Jake took an unexpected turn to the left, entering a small street almost hidden between two poorly parked cars.

"Are we going straight to your house?"

"No, not yet. I'm taking you to the best spot to see the sunset."

"The sunset on the beach is pretty spectacular."

He shook his head, "If you think so, brace yourself for the views from this place."

I relaxed in my seat, knowing that locals were always the best guides. We seemed to drive away from the ocean. The street was narrow, the car bouncing in some holes. A few small houses painted white and blue were sprinkled without order along the way. I saw Jake's hand, big and sound, moving to change gear; the car responded with a soft grunt, preparing to the ascent ahead. Trees surrounded us, and I angled my head out of the window, listening to the breeze play with foliage. It was beautiful.