11.

"We are all star stuff." -  Carl Sagan

She

I woke up startled. The noise of a dry bang on the door made my heart jump in my chest. For a second, I thought I was dreaming again, and the noise coming from the memory of my mother's fists colliding against the closet door. Then, the metallic sing-song of the bell echoed through the house.

This was no dream. Someone was at the door.

I pushed my body to a sitting position. The instinct of going to the door came to a stop, as the meaning of the words processed in my brain. Someone was at the door... Who could it possibly be?

Before I could think of any alternatives, my cellphone vibrated close to my hand.

*I hope you are decent this time because I am about to use the key I have to walk in*. Jake.

I read it a second time, my eyes semi-closed against the brightness of the screen.

Jake.

Shit, what's he doing here?

I shouted in the door's direction that was, at that moment, suffering another assault on Jake's hands, "Coooming".

The distance was relatively small. Still, when I reached for the knob, I was panting as hard as I did when John convinced me to accompany him in his morning runs around the neighborhood. I forced more oxygen into my lungs, exhaling it slowly, as my body turned into the mirror's direction, conveniently attached to the hangings by the door.

I hope you are decent this time.

My grey yoga pants and plain pink t-shirt were doing the job of making me covered this time. As far as being decent, my hair looked like...

I literally jumped when the bell sound made its way through the house again. Has it always been this loud?

Both my hands moved to grip against the keys and the knob, opening the door in one quick, smooth movement.

"Jesus Jake. What the hell happened? Is the town on fire?"

I almost wished my words would find their way back to my mouth as soon as I saw him. His shoulders were too straight, tension radiating from his forearms, where the veins were visible, pulsing, and the stormy gray of his eyes was so intense that I feared a real gush of wind could hit me at any moment.

He came in, passing me at the threshold, his arm lightly grazing my shoulder. His steps decided, carried him around the house... Around my house, even before I invited him in. He was familiar with the place, he even had the key, but the outrage at his attitude burned in my chest.

I followed Jake to find him already in the kitchen. Only then did I notice that a small black backpack accompanied him, from which he removed one of those thermal bags.

"Fuck Alexa. Do you know how long I've rung the bell? I thought you...." He stopped himself and turned to face me, his back resting against Sienna's beloved kitchen island.

Uncertain how to respond to him, I let my gaze drop to the abandoned thermal bag.

"I bought ice cream," he mumbled. "It's melting."

I grabbed it and put it in the freezer, feeling his eyes follow my every movement.

"I was asleep," I said, crossing my arms against my chest, leaning on the fridge.

"Ok.... Ok," his expression softening.

It irritated me he didn't apologize for waking me up like a normal person would, but instead of calling him out on his manners, I asked, "What did you think?"