Recovering

"She has to stay in bed for a couple of weeks, no school for about 2 weeks, she needs time to recover," the doctor told Maryam's parents.

"Thank you so much doctor, thank you, i truly appreciate it," said Maryam's mother.

"Yes I'm glad our daughters feeling better," Maryam's father agreed.

"No problem, take care and have a great afternoon," the doctor smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Maryam come here, lie down on my lap, beta," said Maryam's mom.

Maryam walked over to the sofa and rested on her mother's lap. She felt some pain on her head, it was still excruciatingly painful. She tried to forget about everything that happened at the carnival that day.

"Maryam we need to discuss something," Maryam's mother said in a soft voice.

"No more school for you, U THINK I WORK DAY AND NIGHT SO YOU COULD HAVE A B-boy-,"Maryam's father started to yell.

"She just came home, let her rest, ill take care of it," said Maryam's mom.

"A boyfriend?" asked Maryam. "Why would i have a boyfriend?"

"Oh why would i have a boyfriend?" mimicked Maryam's father. "You know exactly what we are talking about. and HES NOT EVEN PAKISTANI, YOU THINK I WILL LET YU MARRY SOME WHITE CHRISTIAN BOY?? DO YOU?"

Maryam was in shock. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. She was too tired to talk or argue back. "I don't know what you're talking about, i swear."

"Now you start swearing?" Maryam's father raged in fury. "Well you will learn lots of manners and discipline at your new school, don't worry."

"What new school? i don't have a boyfriend! and what white boy are u talking about? can u please explain ? I'm really confused," Maryam said in a soft voice.

"Of course you're confused, you just came from the hospital and had surgery. You wouldnt understand anything right now," Maryam's father walked away.

"Maryam, there was a boy that came to your hospital room the other day. He was tall, white, very handsome..."

immediately maryam knew who she was talking about. "Stan?"

"Maryam you can't have a boyfriend. It's haram (forbidden)" said Maryam's mom.

"Stan is just a friend, not boyfriend. And he probably just came to see if i was alright. Because we are friends," said Maryam.

"Maryam, that's not okay. A boy from your school cant just come to the hospital like that. We don't even know him," her mom explained.

Maryam was too tired and exhausted to explain more. But deep inside she filled with happiness. Stan actually cared about her.