Not Gonna Make It

Stan's POV

Regret.

Remorse.

What kind of jerk am i? Did i ignore Maryam just to be friends with Nazia?

i wore a sweater and some jeans and walked to Nazia's house. From there we would head to the carnival.

Why did i even suggest going to the carnival anyways? Nazia's just gonnna make me pay for everything. Dad's so cheap he barely gives me money. He uses most of it on more "important" things like beer, wine, drugs, gambling... i dont have time to think of this. It only brings me pain and misery. If only i could find a job. But even if i could, i have way too much school work and hhomework.

I feel bad for what i've done in the past, and what im still doing. But i have to. Without Nazia im nothing. The only reason im a popular bad boy is cuz of her. She's one of the most popular, gorgeous girls in the whole school. And when she started hanging out with me, i took it as a key to success, fame, and popularity.

She still doesnt know much about me.. she thinks she knows but in reality, she doesnt know anything. Everytime she wants to come over i come up with an excuse or suggest something else, like going to the movies, or to the park. There's no way i could let her find out the truth. 

i finally got to Nazia's house. It must be fun... living in a huge house like that with 10 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 4 floors, an indoor swimming pool...

"HI STAN" Nazia interuppted Stan's thoughts.

"Oh HEY! im glad you seem happy today!" said Stan.

"Yup i am. I just went shopping with my mom and we bought like 20 new outfits," Nazia laughed.

"That's great!" Stan said, concealing his sadness and jealousy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the carnival, Stan and Nazia went on all the rides having the best time of their lives. Nazia picked out the perfect outfit, a red crop top and black tights which went great with her new red sneakers and black Louis Vuitton purse.

"So how are things between you and Maryam?" asked Stan.

"Oh please, dont even mention her name. I only pretend to be her friend otherwise she'll start bugging me," said Nazia.

"Ouch, thats harsh," Stan chuckled but inside he still felt guilty.

Nazia smirked.

Just then Stan and Nazia heard a blood chilling scream.

"HELP! PLEASE HELP!" the girl cried desperately.

Stan knew who's voice it was right away. He immediately ran to where the voice was coming from.

"PLEASE!" cried the girl.

Stan pushed through the crowd. he tried to get a better view of what was going on.

Sure enough he was right. It was Maryam.

Nazia came after Stan. But she regretted seeing what she saw; a haunting image of Maryam being punched and beaten up by a big, fat white man.

The man banged her head against the concrete floor continuosly. There was blood gushing down her face.

"How dare you bump into me like that? You little terrorist," the racist white man yelled at her.

Everyone stared at them, completely shocked. No on had the guts to talk. The white man was raging with fury.

Of course this wasnt because Maryam accidently bumped into him. 

The man commited a hate crime. He just believed what they told him on the media and did what he thought was "right".

How ignorant and cruel could people be? Nazia thought to herself.

Just then Stan stepped forward and said, "Leave her alone."

His voice was cold and icy filled with hatred for the racist white man.

"Oh so Mr.Prince comes to save the day," the white man laughed.

Nazia immediately dialed 911.

Nazia's POV

Are people seriously just staring and watching Maryam get beat up? Like is this some kind of circus show or wrestling match? Did anyone even bother to call 911??

The white man is still hitting her! I couldnt take it anymore. I started to cry; i'm never exposed to anything violent and gory and here i am now watching Maryam suffer to death.

Soon enough, sirens went on and off. The ambulence came too.

The police handcuffed the white man and pushed him into the car.

Maryam was put into the ambulence. I heard one of the doctors say, "She's not gonna make it."

i broke into tears. What have i done?! I caused Maryam such embarrassment and pain! What if she doesnt make it?! What if i dont get to make it up to her?!

i felt remorse and regret wash over me.

All the questions came to my head,

What if...?

What if.....?

What if....?