Epilouge

EIGHT YEARS LATER

Rose is practically purring in contentment under my hand. The headaches she's been having are horrid, but the scalp massages seem to be helping. This final pregnancy seems to be really taking a toll on her, but she's still taking it in stride. A smile on her face...most of the time. I was enjoying the few moments of silence too, that is until Lissa barges in.

"Have you kept this from me all these years!?" Lissa cried, startling Rose. I give Lissa a look to keep her voice down, but she ignores it as she comes and sits in front of us on the coffee table, her face distraught.

"Kept what?" Rose asks, shifting on the couch beside me. I stop the massage but run my fingers through her hair.

Lissa sighs. "The program. The fact that there never was a donor! That Toby, Luka, Ivan and now Vanya, are biologically yours and Dimitri's!" Lissa exclaim, her arms coming out to the sides. Rose looks to me and presses her lips into a thin line before looking back at Lissa. I return the look and sit forward on the couch.

"We weren't allowed to tell anyone, Lissa. The only person alive that knows is Abe, and that's because he was funding the program. We were swore to secrecy about participating," Rose explains, taking Lissa's hand in hers. I can see Lissa think the last ten years over and the tears start to well in her eyes.

"All this time," Lissa starts, "You've had to keep the truth about your kids a secret." Lissa shakes her head and rubs her hand over her face. I know that things have not been easy for Lissa lately. Tatiana passed only six months ago after grooming Lissa, plus Lydia has been going through a phase of defiance. Add that to the terrible three Erica and George and Lissa and Christian are at their wits end with the never ending list of things to do.

"I know it's a lot to take in," I say but Lissa laughs. "Oh it's a lot to take in, but I feel horrible for not knowing, you know? I should have figured it out too. I mean Toby looks so so much like Rose, and Ivan is a spitting image of you, but Luka. He is a perfect combination of the two of you. No donor genes could replicate that."

Rose snorts a laugh and stands up while pulling her shirt down over her stomach. Not that I would ever admit this out loud but with every pregnancy Rose gets a bigger belly, and I love it. Rose look much further along at her five months then she did with her first pregnancy.

"Do you want something to drink? You look like you're going to pass out."

Lissa smirks and shakes her head. "No, I'll be fine. DO you need a drink? You look exhausted."

Rose rolls her eyes and heads into the kitchen and I watch her as long as I can before she turns the corner. Looking back to Lissa she raises her eyebrows at me and slips a box out of her pocket, handing me the distinctive blue box.

"I like your choice by the way," Lissa whispers. I smile and hid the box in my own pocket. Between the kids and started a new job at a prestigious office as daytime security, I haven't been able to go and get an anniversary gift for Rose. Speaking of kids, the pounding of feet overhead alert me that two of our boys are out of bed when they shouldn't be.

"AUNTIE LISSA!" Toby screams as he comes down the stairs, heading straight for Lissa. I get up to intercept him but Lissa waves me off, opening her arms for Toby, rocking backwards on the coffee table. Luka not being far behind him jumps up onto the table and wraps himself around his aunt. I listen closely for the following footsteps of Ivan, but it seems his brothers managed not to wake him.

"I thought you two were supposed to be in bed," I hear Rose call out from the kitchen. I watch the two boys freeze and look up to their aunt before looking to me. Rose and I both parent fairly, but when Rose pulls out the "Mom" voice, the boys always look to me.