Intimacy

"Rose, can you slow down please?"

Rose tosses a look over her shoulder as she pushes the stroller, but her good mood is overpowering any type of instruction. After six weeks, she finally got the green light to go back to the gym, and she and Toby passed all their examinations with flying colours.

"I can't. I'm so excited!"

I chuckle and jog to keep up with her, coming up beside her and wrapping my arm around her waist to physically make her slow down. She's practically skipping down the street.

"I know, I can tell," I say into her and press a small kiss to her head. I have to say I miss having Rose in the gym with me, and there are other things I've missed since Rose progressed further into her pregnancy.

"I think I'm going to head in tomorrow morning to take my membership off hold and to look into having Toby go into the care center while I'm there. I honestly feel like I have a huge ball of energy inside of me and I can't wait to get it out!" Rose exclaims as we come to a stop at the crosswalk. I shake my head and scan the crowded street. It's busy for the weekend and the streets have been bustling with tourists and locals. I frown as I scan through the crowd again, thinking I saw someone I recognize but shake it off as someone just looking similar.

We walk back to the car and set Toby's car seat into the holder before packing away the stroller. "Are you going to call Lissa and let her know? She's been antsy about hearing of your recovery."

Rose sighs with a shrug. Not the response I was expecting. I turn more towards her in the driver's seat and she catches my motion.

"I mean, yeah I'll tell her, but it's not on the top of my list right now. I may be civil with her, but I haven't forgiven her yet," Rose says as she looks at me, but quickly turns around to check that Toby is still sleeping in his seat.

I ponder over the way the two interacted the weekend that Lissa and Christian were here, and now that I think about it, Rose was distant with Lissa while still being polite.

"I mean, she did treat me like garbage. She can't go all Princess on me one minute and expect me to pretend that she didn't hurt me. She's going to need to grovel a little, Comrade."

"Well, thank God!"

Rose looks slightly startled by my statement, but I honestly am thrilled to hear what she said.

"I was worried that you were going to disregard everything that she did to you, to us. I watched you suffer in pain for nine months over what she did. You deserve better than that, and I was concerned that you would fall back into the pattern of just forgiving her. I know that she was your best friend and a Royal, but she has taken your friendship for granted so many times, Roza. When we were back at the academy, I was shocked that you put up and accepted half the shit she threw at you. You are worth more than that," I explain, but it comes out all in one breath. I look back to Rose as we turn off the main street to see her blank face.

Crap. I hope I didn't just put my foot in my mouth.

And then she starts laughing.

"I don't think I've ever heard you say so much in one sentence!" she laughs, the words barely making it through her mirth. I chuckle lightly with her, glad to know that I didn't upset her with my honesty.

Rose finally calms down and loops her arms around mine as my hand rests on her leg, and she rests her head on my shoulder. "I'm glad someone else thinks I'm more than just a lowly Dhampir."

I turn my head enough to drop a kiss on the top of her head. She will never be second best in my mind.

_________________________________