Surprises

My relationship with Tasha has been almost nonexistent since our spat at Court, but it just showed me her true colours. She hasn't approached me again and when we end up in the same room she promptly leaves. I was worried that the discord between her and I would put strain on Christian, but he seems to find humour in the situation. Working for Christian is refreshing because he never had a Guardian, so he doesn't treat me as lower class or as property like some Royals do. He is more of a walk with me not behind me kind of guy and it is a more casual environment than formal. By the end of my shift most nights we are more inclined to sit and have a beer together.

Rose and Lissa are off at Lehigh now and Rose is trying so hard. She complains immensely about her classes, but she seems to be holding her own while guarding Lissa. It's been almost three months since we have seen each other, but I am looking forward to surprising Rose tonight as Christian and I drove up with an additional Guardian to see them.

The summer went blissfully, and I mean that figuratively and literally. Rose and I made up time that was lost while we were at the academy and we were able to go and do things as a couple that would have been frowned upon had she still been my student.

The conversation with her parents was slightly uncomfortable. Janine had been furious about our relationship and went on a rant about image and reputation, but Abe stayed silent the whole time and when he caught my eye, he merely nodded his head and winked. I going to take that as his ok. Rose sat slumped in her chair with her arms crossed through the ordeal and merely responded with, "are you done?"

"Are we almost there yet?" Christian grumbles from the backseat and I look up in the rearview with a smirk. Two hours on the road when we should be sleeping has put him in a foul mood. "Ten more minutes Lord Ozera," I say, and he lifts his head and glares at me. He hates being called Lord Ozera, but due to the presence of another Guardian, I need to show a little professionalism. The closer we get to campus the more excited I get. I miss Rose, it can be difficult trying to coordinate our schedules so that we can have a phone call at least twice a week, but we are making it work.

Christian perks up as we park the car and impatiently waits as Guardian Mayhew and I do our sweep before letting him out of the vehicle. Christian is practically running towards the dorm that the girls are staying in and as we approach Guardian Jackson nods to us with a knowing smile. He knocks on the door as we meet him, and he tells Rose that there are a few more Guardians outside. I can hear Rose's muffled voice behind the door, and I bump Christian shoulder when the lock disengages.

Rose swings the door open and her gaze falls on Christian who is standing directly in front of the door. Rose furrows her brows before she looks towards me and the look of elation crosses her face.

"Lissa! Look who is here!" Rose calls over her shoulder without breaking her gaze on me. Rose steps aside and allows Christian and me in as she nods to Mayhew and Jackson. "You two ok out here? Or would you like to come in?" Rose asks quietly and they both shake their heads.

"Nah, you and the Princess should have a little time with these two. Take the rest of the night off Hathaway."

Rose nods as she closes the door and turns to wrap her arms around me tightly. I smile and hold her just as tightly, pressing my face into her hair and breathing in the familiar smell of her shampoo. I kiss her hair and pull back enough to look at her face, feeling joy spread through me as I see her smiling so happily.

"What are you doing here?" Rose asks and I lean down to peck her lips. "We thought we would come and surprise you before your exams."

Rose stands on the tips of her toes and presses her face into the crook of my neck and I shiver at the feeling of her lips brushing against my skin. I look over her head to see that Christian and Lissa have stepped into one of the rooms and shut the door. I smirk to myself and slide my hands down Rose's back and into the pockets of her jeans, pulling her closer to me as I rub my hands over her rounded flesh. Rose hums and flexes her hips towards mine and places a wet kiss on my neck.