Chapter 12: The Safe Haven

~Y/n P.O.V.~

My senses. Everything started coming back to me. Just then, I sat straight up, gasping while waking up. I was in a hut, the sun shining through the curtains a little. I looked down at my body, seeing I was wearing completely different clothes.

(Just ignore the bag and accessories)

I put my legs on the edge of the bed, grunting in pain while doing so. I lifted up my shirt a little, seeing the gunshot all patched up. I looked out at where the door was before putting on the pair of shoes that was next to the bed I was laying on.

I opened the curtain, walking out of the hut, revealing a beach right in front of me, and a ship out in the distance. I heard laughing and talking coming to the right of me, making me turn my head to see tents, and loads of people around.

I walked forwards, glancing around the place, passing many people I haven't seen before. Probably from different mazes that Wicked had captured. There were people building structures, reminds me of when I use to help Gally in the maze.

I continued walking, till I saw Minho, Thomas, Brenda, Frypan, Jorge, Gally, and Aris a little behind him, in front of me, looking right at me. I stopped in my tracks, looking at Minho who was giving me a sympathetic look. My lips went into a thin line, tears coming to my eyes, but they didn't fall.

I walked forwards, Minho doing the same before we hugged each other, everyone else coming closer while we were. Minho and I pulled away before I started hugging everyone else.

~

~Y/n P.O.V.~

It was the evening now. Everyone gathered around while Vince was in the front, saying a speech, I sat beside Gally. Thomas, Minho, Brenda, Frypan, and Jorge behind me, and Aris, Harriet, and Sonya to the right of me, also sitting behind.

"We have come a long way together. So many sacrificed so much, to make this place possible. Your friends, and your family," Vince lifted up his cup, everyone else doing the same, "So, here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost," that made me think about everyone I've lost, who we've all lost. Chuck, Alby, Winston, Teresa, and Newt, "This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this, this is for them," Vince motioned towards a big rock behind him, "So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Safe Haven." He finished, raising his glass, while everyone started cheering.

I sat there, clapping while Gally wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. I smiled at him while he kissed my head in a brotherly way.

~

~Y/n P.O.V~

It was a little later, now darker out. I was sitting down, Minho beside me. Everyone else was around the bonfire, cheering and celebrating. Reminds me of the glade.

"This is gonna be a good home for us." Minho spoke, looking around the Safe Haven.

I nodded, "Yeah." I looked down, playing with my fingers.

Just then, I saw Minho hold up Newt's necklace, "You had this on you while you were passed out," he informed, holding it out for me. I grabbed it, examining it, "Figured I'd keep it safe for you." He said.

I smiled, not taking my eyes off of it, "Thanks Minho." I said.

He patted my shoulder, "See you out there." He stood up.

"See ya." I muttered, looking up at him.

I looked back at the necklace, wrapping the string around my fingers, before I noticed something. I popped off the lid of the metal piece to the necklace, before taking out a piece of rolled up paper. I unfolded it, realizing it was a letter from Newt. I took a deep breath before reading it.

'Dear Y/n. This is the first letter I remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the maze. But even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know, that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying, anyway. It's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me. So, every night I've been saying their names out loud. Alby... Winston, Chuck. And I just repeat them over and over, like a prayer, and it all comes flooding back. Just the little things, like the way the sun use to hit the glade at that perfect moment, right before it slipped beneath the walls. The time when we would always go to the watch-tower together and watch the sunrise. I will always remember that one morning, when I confessed my love for you, and you said it back. I remember when I first said 'I love you' the day when Thomas came up into the glade. I remember when Gally would always go all 'protective brother mode' after we told him about us. And I remember the taste of Frypan's stew. I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. I remember the first time you came up into the box. Just a scared little, and may I say, the most beautiful greenie I've ever seen, who couldn't even remember her own name. You were the first girl, and I'll always remember that. And from that moment when you led us through the maze with Thomas right beside you, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would, and I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope from you, is that when you're looking back, years from now, you'll be able to say the same. The future's in your hands now, Y/n. And I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me. And take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. Thank you for being my girlfriend, and the love of my life. Goodbye, love. Newt.'

Once I was done reading the letter, fresh tears were falling down onto my cheeks. I wiped them away, before putting the letter away, and putting on the necklace, standing up. I walked towards where everyone was sitting at the bonfire. I sat between Gally and Thomas.

Gally put his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into him before ruffling my hair, like he use to do in the glade. Then, I felt Thomas' hand on my knee, making me look at him, to see him looking at me, smiling. I smiled back, grateful, putting my hand over his. We turned back to the others, who were laughing and talking.

~

~Y/n P.O.V.~

It was the next day, in the morning. Everyone was still asleep, except for some people who woke up earlier than me. I walked towards the rock full of names, like we did back in the glade. I smiled slightly at all the familiar names I saw on the rock.

I saw that Newt's name was already carved in, so I went a little bit above, and started carving in Teresa's name. Once I was done that, I rubbed over it, before glancing at Newt's name, then Teresa's.

I smiled a little while tears started pooling into my eyes. I let a couple fall, while I started walking along the beach, watching the sunrise a little. I didn't have any shoes on, so I let my feet feel the warm sand. It felt nice.

I looked out into the distance, thinking of all the stuff, me and the others have gone through. All the people we've lost, how many times a lot of us, had almost died. I put my hands in my pockets, before I felt something in there, making me bring it out, revealing the vial Teresa gave me back at the city, when we were on the roof. Suddenly, my mind came back to Newt, and the last words he had said to me, that we've only said a couple times before he left.

I looked up at the sky, smiling, thinking Newt was there, watching me right now, along with Teresa, and Chuck, Alby, and Winston. I

"I love you, too."