Chapter Eighteen: Iridescent

Trigger warnings for this chapter:

• Death threats

• Mentions of death

• Violence

• A graphic depiction of violence

• Mentions of rape

• Suicidal ideation

• Mentions of self harm

• Mentions of domestic violence

• Descriptions/depictions of injuries caused by violence

• Effects of PTSD/guilt over traumatic events

• A mention of torture

"The truth is, is that you could slit my throat, and with my last gasping breath, I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt." — Unknown

---

*Tuesday, May 19, 2020; 2:29 P.M.*

*Adrian's point of view*

"Hey."

"Hey." Linden softly whispers, while waving towards me.

"I..."

"What? You what?" She asks.

"Nothing." I reply.

It's been eight days since she ran away from Ian, and just like the last time when Linden was in the hospital, I visited her every day.

We didn't say anything to each other after that sort of greeting that we have. I do attempt to say something a few more times, but I fail at it every time that I do, so I just decide to stay silent.

I hate seeing her like this, she doesn't deserve it. Even though she's masking it, I can still very easily see the pain in her silver eyes.

How? Because I know Linden James better than I know myself, and I know that she has a nasty habit of swallowing her feelings; she's been hurt way too many times, and I don't think that she can take being hurt again.

After a few minutes of silence, I ask her if she wants to sit up, instead of continuing to lay down, and she nods her head, indicating "yes".

I gently help her sit up, and once she's sitting up, she turns to face me, and looks into my eyes, her silver-grey orbs piercing my soul.

"I'm so glad that you're alright, Linden. That bastard won't ever hurt you again." I whisper into her ear as I hug her.

"How do you know that?" She replies, once we let each other go.

"How I know that is because you'll be staying with me once you get discharged."

"I really want to accept your offer, Adrian, but I can't."

"Why?"

"You see, the reason of why I didn't talk to you for almost 2 months is because Ian and Rodney banned me from interacting with you. Ian told me that he was going to harm you if he saw me anywhere near you, or if I interacted with you."