Chapter 1

This life wasn't ideal, but it's all I have. My Dad was put in jail when I was six...for beating my Mom to death. Yeah I know...tough childhood trauma. The South Side Hustlers kept me from foster homes and from starving on the streets alone. They're my family.

     "Hey the boss wants to see you", Michael opened the curtain to my room. We stayed in this abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of Chicago. It might not seem glamorous, but we each have our own spaces and privacy.

     "What for?", I didn't even look up from the book I was reading.

     "I don't know Cleo and I honestly don't care", I looked up at my book and gave Michael the death glare. "Don't hate the messenger", he threw his hands up in defeat.

     I put my book mark in it's place and carefully put my book back on the shelf. Everyone in the gang knew not to mess with my books. They were my escape from this reality. Even though imagining a better life doesn't help me appreciate this one.

     "What's up boss", I knocked as I walked in. 

     "Sit", he motioned for me to sit in the torn chair in front of me, cigar in hand. "I wanted to let you know we have a deal in an hour. The usual team is coming, but I want you to have the long guns ready. This dealer's new and you know I hate change", he dismissed me after that.

    'The usual team' is Micheal who's like an annoying older brother, Isa also known as Michael's girlfriend, and the twins Layton and Hunter. Layton is my best friend in the whole gang while her brother Hunter well... he tends to get in the way of a lot of things.

     I told every one the news and had Isa get the guns loaded in the SUV. Michael and Isa were both older than me, but I still gave the orders. What can I say? I guess the boss just likes me more. I even had time to get another chapter of my book in before we had to go. 

     Every one got ready and we headed out. Our SUV always comes before the boss's to make sure the deal is legit. The gang might've been family, but they'd save themselves before saving you. They'd rather live and get revenge later.

     We pulled up to an empty lot behind some abandoned building. Something felt off. That's when I realized...

~A/N

This is my first story ever and I'm so excited to write it!! I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do. More to come...