Chapter 9

I found myself clinging on to Nathan's arm for warmth without even realizing it. Chicago winters sucked. Once we got to the diner I immediately turned around.

     "What's wrong?", he asked raising his eyebrow at me.

     "You see those two people right there", I pointed as Nathan looked through the glass door. "They're Detectives. Jay and Hailey. They're in the unit that snatched me up and Hailey was the one I called when Lila was shot."

     "I heard about that, but I thought it was guys trying to bust my balls on my first day. I'm sorry that happened. If you want we can head back", Nathan put his hand on my shoulder. 

     "No way. I froze my ass off on the way over here. It's not like we're doing anything illegal and they've lost interest in using me anyways", I opened the door and sat in a booth. I tried to make sure I wasn't seen but that didn't work.

     Hailey just stared at me like she had seen a ghost. Eventually her gaze returned to Jay. Were they together yet? If I had a man look at me the way Jay looks at Hailey, I would be all over that. I stopped staring at them to not seem creepy. That's when I saw it. I had a guy that looked at me like that. I just couldn't do anything without breaking my best friends heart.

     Nathan and I ordered our food. We ended up ordering the same thing, a cheeseburger and fries. I almost got through my meal peacefully when Jay walked up to me as they were about to leave. Hailey just kept heading outside.

     "What do you want, Jay", I grabbed his arm and drug him away from my booth.

     "Stay away from Hailey. You know she's trying to look out for you and all you did was hurt her", I could tell Jay was just looking out for Hailey, but how was I supposed to know they would be there?

     "Jay this is a public diner. I can eat where I want. It's not like I planned this. Hailey's a big girl and can make her own decisions and so can I. It's not like I'm calling her or showing up at the District."

     "Okay, I'm sorry. Have a nice life", Jay walked out of the diner. I stood there stunned for some reason. Once I gathered myself I sat back down. 

     "You okay", Nathan came and sat next to me instead of across from me.

     "Yeah", I grabbed Nathan's hand. It's like I just gravitated towards him. 

     "You sure? It's okay not to be okay."

     "I'm okay, Nathan. Let's just head back", I put my money on the table.

     The walk back to the warehouse was silent. We decided to take the alleyways because of my run in with Jay. I doubt they would follow me, but you could never be too sure. 

     I walked into my room to see Layton sitting there.

     "Did you go out with Nathan?", she asked more hurt than angry.

      "We got lunch...as friends. Layton the fact that you think I would even do that to you appalls me", did she really think I would betray her like that? Had I betrayed her?

     "Isa saw you guys kiss when she walked pass the weapons room before you left", a tear tricked down her cheek as she talked.

     "Nathan kissed me and I shut him down. I told him I would never betray you and I wouldn't. Honestly Layton accusing me of doing something behind your back is a bitchy move", I didn't mean it, but it was already said.

     "A bitchy move?", she stood up raising her voice. "Do you think I'm an idiot? I see the way you guys look at each other and you're always holding on to his hand or leaning on him. You're the bitch", Layton got up in my face. We had never fought like this before.

     "Ok, so denying my feelings to protect you is being a bitch? You're right Layton maybe I like him, but I would never and I mean never betray you. I'm the one who always sits back and lets you have any guy you want. Don't I deserve to be happy?", tears started running down my face. Layton was the prettier of the two of us and could have any guy she wanted even if I liked him first. Micheal was right. Being loyal is stupid.

    Layton stormed out hitting my shoulder on hers. I sat down on my bed to collect myself and wipe my tears. Someone seeing my cry is something I don't need right now.

      Too late. Nathan walked in.

    "I heard you and Layton yelling. You okay?", Nathan sat next to me rubbing my back.

     "Can you just go? I don't need someone seeing my cry", I used my hands to cover my face.

     "Why? I think you look beautiful even when you cry", there was that smile again. The smile that got me here in the first place.

     "I suppose you heard everything I said huh?", I looked up at him, hoping he hadn't.

     "Yeah. Look Cleo I like you too obviously, but I know you need some time. I'll be here whenever you're ready", He patted me on the back and walked out.

     My face turned bright pink. He was different from everyone else in the gang. Nobody else would sit and wait around for a girl. It just shows me that he actually cares.

     So much had happened that I hadn't even realized my book collection had been torn apart. It wasn't bad, my books were just out of order except for one was on the floor. I knew exactly what book it was. It was the book that had Hailey's card in it. The card was gone and there's only one person who could've taken it.