Chapter 12

"Nathan", I was dizzy from the fall, but I needed to know if he's okay.

     "Cleo, relax", Isa realized how staggered I was walking and sat me down. 

     "Is Nathan okay?"

     "A bullet grazed his arm, but he's gonna be fine", I felt like I could breath again.

     I heard the screeching of wheels. The boss pulled up. He helped us get back in our SUV, so we could go see the gang 'doctor'. He wasn't really a doctor, but he was the best we had. If we were to go to the hospital the cops would definitely snatch us up, but then again I've had so many run-ins with the Intelligence unit I don't think it matters anymore.

    Isa helped me into the back while Micheal helped Nathan. "I thought you were dead", I leaned my head on Nathan's good shoulder as a couple of tears escaped.

     "Hey", he grabbed my chin forcing my eyes to meet his. "I'm okay, I'm not going anywhere", he cupped my cheek and pulled me in for a kiss. Our lips met and for a minute our problems melted away.

     "Gross", Micheal joked. I reached up to the front and jokingly punched him. The sudden movement sent a rush of pain through my skull.

     "You okay?", Nathan asked as I grabbed my head.

     "Yeah...I think so", my eyes felt heavy. 

     "Cleo, don't fall asleep", Nathan nudged me, making me realize I had accidentally closed my eyes.

     "She probably has a concussion. Taking a bullet knocks you down hard even if the vest takes it", Isa commented.

     "I'll be fine", I grabbed Nathan's hand to calm his nerves. He wasn't so good at hiding them.

     Once we got back to the warehouse we got checked out. I only had a mild concussion and Nathan just needed stitches, but we still had the next couple of weeks off. I was supposed to stay awake for awhile just to make sure some symptoms didn't surface, so I went to go check on Nathan.

     "How you doing?", I walked in to Nathan's room.

     "Cleo, you don't have to keep asking me that. I'm fine", he grabbed my hand as I sat down on the bed next to him. He started leaning in, but something felt off.

     "Nathan...", I turned the other way and stood up. "You know I like you a lot, but that's the problem. I have more baggage than I'd like to admit and I don't want to be a burden. Besides we need to get to know each other better."

     "Cleo, I'm fine with slowing down as long as it's about wanting to know each other better, and better our relationship in the long run. If it's about your 'baggage' then well...no", Nathan surprised me. Was I not a burden? I felt like I was. "Whatever it is we can work through it, together."

     "You know you really are amazing. I guess it's both. We live a fast paced life, but I don't want this to be rushed."

     "Ok, then. We'll slow things down", he flashed that gorgeous smile at me. I couldn't help but smile back.

     "Seriously, Nathan. Get some rest", I closed the curtain to his room. 

     I felt so tired, but I had a couple more hours until I was allowed to go to sleep. So much had happened that I didn't realize my t-shirt had blood stains. Why didn't anyone say anything? I grabbed sweatpants and a crop top before heading to the showers. 

     The cold water really woke me up and I felt so refreshed. These past couple days have been so crappy, that even small moments of peace like this feel amazing. Once I was done, I headed back to my room. Seeing the mess of books Layton left behind gave me a headache. Literally. After years of dealing with the toxic friendship, this is how it ends. Leaving me upset. Leaving me feeling like the bad person, the bad friend.

     My head started to pound, pulling me back into reality. Before I knew it, I was on the ground.

                                                                                              ***

     We came home from having the best mother-daughter day. For once it felt like we were a normal family. At least it did until we got home. My father had been gambling again and lost a lot of money. That combined with the alcohol, made him angry. It made him a monster.

     My mom yelled at me to go upstairs, but I froze. Even though I was only five I still had that instinct. The instinct to protect my mom even though I couldn't. I moved in front of her. My dad grabbed my arm throwing me into the wall. 

     That wasn't the worst part though. The worst part was watching my mom receive several blows to the face and stomach. I had to lay there helpless and watch it happen. 

     He left after he blew off all his steam. The only noise that filled the room was the sobs of me and my mom.

                                                                                         ***

     I felt someone shaking me, yelling my name. My eyelids were so heavy that it took me a second to actually open them. Nathan was holding me while the gang 'doctor' was taking my vitals.

     "You scared the shit out of me", Nathan took a breath. I could tell his nerves were at an all time high.

     "Boss, you're not gonna like this", I heard the gang doctor talking to our boss. "She needs a hospital, an head CT. There could be severe brain damage."

     "Fine, she can go. Nathan you're taking her.", my vision was still a bit blurry, but I could sense the anger in his voice, He wasn't happy.

     Next thing I knew Nathan picked me up. The Boss told me something before Nathan put me in the car.

      "You better not tell them how this really happened. If you do, I'll kill you myself."