Chapter 3

Micheal had brought me dinner, but I wasn't hungry. Instead I put on sweatpants and a hoodie and went out. The boss didn't care if we went out, but if we got picked up by the cops we were on our own. That's how the gang has always worked.

     I headed to the this old alleyway cafe. It was only three blocks from the warehouse. When I walked in I breathed in the coffee smell as I sat on a bar stool near the counter. I knew the owner, Lila and she always let me in after closing time.

     "Any new books?", I asked as she handed me the macchiato I always ordered. 

     "Not yet, but the old library on Third Street is closing, so I'm hoping to get some from that sale. Used books are always cheeper", Lila let me borrow books and gave me free coffee even though she was struggling herself. Aside from the cafe being in an odd location, the crime was high in this neighborhood which isn't good for business. 

     "Lila, you've never told me why you bought this place? I mean you had to have looked at better places for your business."

     "I did, but I took this one for people like you. When I was a kid I needed a refuge to go to as well. All the money in the world can't take away the good memories from this place", she looked around as she soaked it all in.

    I stayed until I finished my coffee, then I let Lila close up. We're always told to avoid main roads, but walking through dark alleyways in my condition just wasn't an option. I pulled up my hood and took a deep breath. Chicago really was beautiful, I just never got to enjoy it.

     The lights. 

     The buildings.

     Even the noise.

     It was all just breathtaking. This is where it gets dangerous, though. When my mind starts wandering. When I start thinking about a life outside of the gang. The boss would kill you before you could get out. That's what I always told myself. Better to be alive than dead. But then again was I really living?

     I eventually snapped out of my daydream and realized a truck following me. The boss would definitely kill me if I led the cops or a rival gang to our hideout. I crossed the street and started heading back towards the cafe. Lila gave me a key for this reason and this reason only. I remember when she gave it to me. She was so hesitant. I don't blame her, but now it's my saving grace.

     The truck stopped following me when all of a sudden I was pulled into an alleyway. Someone's hands were over my mouth and neck.

     "Chicago P.D. You're under arrest", they pushed me against the wall as they slapped cuffs on my hands.

     This can't be happening. I was careful. How did the cops find me? In that moment only one thought popped into my head.

You're dead