Chapter 22

Today was my last day in the gang. I should be excited, but I'm not. It's not because of nerves, it's because of Nathan. We haven't talked since our argument, and I can't help but think after we start our new lives he'll forget about me. Just like everyone else has. Then again, he's not like everyone else. 

      I spent the whole morning in my room reading. Facing everyone was just too hard. I couldn't focus on my book though, the thoughts of what would happen to Micheal, Isa, and Hunter haunted my mind. I don't care what they've done or even how they sometimes still act towards me. People are flawed, but that doesn't mean I still don't feel for them. 

     It was time to get ready for the deal, so I had to leave my room. I changed quickly hoping to catch Nathan before we had to load up the SUV's. 

     "Can we talk", I walked into his room. 

     "Sure", he didn't look up from tying his shoe.

      "I know you're probably still mad at me and all...", I looked around the corner before I said the next part. "Intelligence is gonna arrest us too. Hopefully it will lessen the targets that will inevitably be on our back."

     "Sounds good", Nathan still didn't look up at me.

     "Why are you so mad at me anyways? You can't expect me to change my whole personality because we are whatever we are. I'm the same Cleo that you started to like in the first place, so what's the problem?", I didn't even know what to call Nathan and I. Does he want to be in a relationship?

     "I'm not mad, Cleo. I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated that you won't let me in. I'm frustrated that you've had to go through what you did to get those nightmares. I'm frustrated at myself...for being a jerk", finally his eyes met mine. 

     "You're not a jerk. You were just trying to help, and I know you have my best interest at heart. I tell you what...let's get through today. We'll have a lot of time in protective custody, so I can explain everything later", I sat down on the bed next to him, our eyes never breaking contact.

     "You don't have to if you're not ready. I'll be here when you are", Nathan pressed a kiss to my cheek. "Be careful today okay? If you even get a tiny bad feeling you need to tell me."

     "We'll be fine", I stood up offering Nathan my hand. "We better get going." Nathan grabbed my hand as we headed to the deal that would change our lives forever.

     Everyone loaded up and we headed towards the Silo's. Once we got there Micheal and Hunter got out of the car. The boss didn't even want me at the deal because I know Ryan, so staying in the car was the best I could get out of him. Once they confirmed Ryan had the money, the boss pulled up. 

     I started picking at my thumbs. Nathan, noticing my nerves grabbed my hand and squeezed it gently. I lifted my gaze from the floor to his eyes and I felt my body somewhat relax. Before I knew it we were leaving. The deal was successful and now all I had to do was wait.

     Once we got back to the warehouse, I headed towards the weapons room. I needed a distraction and cleaning my gun for the last time sounded like a good one. 

     "You can clean your gun later. My office. Now", the boss stopped me in my tracks. This can't be happening, not right now. I'm too nervous. My freedom is literally minutes away, yet I still don't feel safe.

     "What's up", I sat down in the chair in front of the boss's desk.

     "Your boy Ryan turned out to be a real good customer. I think we're gonna be seeing more of him. Just wanted to let you kn-", the boss was cut off by shouts. Intelligence was here. 

     "Chicago P.D. Put your hands where I can see 'em", Jay, Hailey, and Voight came through the door. My guess was Kim,Kevin, and Adam were taking care of everyone else.

     I immediately put my hands up. I didn't have to act shocked, I was. Moments ago I thought the boss knew I was snitching and that I wouldn't get to see Intelligence take him down. Then I heard the shouting, and that hope returned...only for a moment.

     Before I knew it the boss had one arm around my neck and one arm with a gun pointed at my head. I didn't want to be sacred, but I was. A small scream escaped my lips, and I hated it. I hated the thought of others seeing me helpless and afraid. 

     "Drop the gun, or we will drop you!", Hailey screamed inching closer to my boss.

     "Come any closer and I shoot the bitch", the boss let out a sinister laugh. A tear fell down my cheek. 

     "You're not stupid. You know you're not walking out of here unless you drop the piece", Jay tried to reason with my boss. 

      I closed my eyes expecting a shot to be fired. Hopefully by Intelligence. All of a sudden I felt the pressure from the barrel of the gun disappear. The boss had lowered the gun and Voight was cuffing him. 

     My emotions were all over the place. I felt relieved that everything was over, scared for what comes next, and just completely overwhelmed. I let out a sob and Hailey pulled me in for a hug. The boss saw Jay, he knew I was the snitch. He would've known anyways, he wasn't dumb.

     "You're okay. It's over", Hailey stroked my hair and I could see Jay flash a smile. Expect it wasn't the infamous Halstead grin, it was the sympathetic one I hated to receive. 

     "You're dead Cleo. You're dead you stupid bitch", the boss laughed before receiving a punch from Voight. 

     Hailey pulled me in tighter when the boss yelled, but for once I wasn't scared of him. This wasn't my life anymore and he will never dictate my happiness again.

~A/N

    We are getting close to the end!! I'm so excited to be so close to finishing my FIRST STORY EVER!! Thanks to all you readers, every time I see a read or a vote I get so excited. More to come...