Chapter 8

I woke up to the sun shining in my eyes. My room had a window which was a good and bad thing.

     "Morning", I walked out to see Layton sitting at the couch that sat outside our living quarters. I didn't get a response. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed", I joked as I sat next to her.

     "I heard you and Nathan talking yesterday, thanks for sticking up for me", my heart dropped. As teenagers there were always going to be people we had feelings for who don't feel the same way. Its how life works, but it doesn't mean it doesn't sting.

     "You can do much better than him. No need to do charity work", Layton laughed at my remark. I was glad I could make her smile.

    "First of all he's not charity work. He's hot and even you know that. Second, let's just hope the deal today isn't awkward", I had completely forgotten that we had a job today until Layton said that. I guess my mind just blanked.

     "Layton as your friend it's ok to be upset, but as a person who doesn't want to piss off the boss just keep emotions out of work. You can always cry on my shoulder when it's over", I nudged her with my elbow. If she didn't have her head on straight I don't know what the boss would do to her.

     "Thanks Cleo. I know you're just looking out for me. Wanna go get some breakfast?", Layton stood up and I followed her.

     We went to the kitchen and grabbed some toast and fruit. I poured myself a cup of coffee, Layton gagged. She hated the stuff. I will say though, the gang keeps you fed and a roof over your head. 

     Once we finished eating we loaded up the SUV's. Everyone hopped in except this time I drove. Couldn't risk Micheal losing his cool again. Per usual the boss was several miles behind as we pulled up to a parking garage. Micheal and I got out leaving our guns in the car.

     "Oh nah, I was dealing with your boss. Not you", the buyer said turning towards his car.

     "Don't worry. We're just here to verify the cash and that you're legit. Then you can deal with our boss", the guy smirked and grabbed a dark green duffel bag from the back seat of his car. He showed us the money, it was all there. 

     We called the boss and he took it from there. We were basically just bodyguards now. Once the deal was finished we went back to the warehouse. I had nothing else going on, so I decided to clean my gun.

     "So that was easy", Nathan walked up to the cleaning table in the weapons room. 

     "Yeah, but don't get cocky. Deals always go south when someone gets cocky", I put down my gun and looked up at him. He just smirked at me.

     "Copy that", he smiled at me with that goofy grin of his as he leaned his arm on the table.

     We stood there just exchanging looks when he grabbed me by the waist and kissed me. At first I was shocked and didn't even realize what was going on. Once I did I pulled away.

     "Are you crazy", I pushed him. Hard.

     "What's the matter?", his smile faded.

      "You have no right to just come up in here and kiss me. I'm your superior and that's it. Got it? Cause if you don't I have no problem going to the boss", Nathan looked hurt, but Layton's my best friend. What else was I supposed to do?

     "Yeah...sure", Nathan walked away. 

     I went back to cleaning my gun. Anything to get my mind off what just happened. I felt guilty, like I should've let him down easier. 

     "Hey, can we talk", I peaked into Nathan's room.

     "No need to. I understand you don't like me okay?", he sat on his bed staring at the ceiling. It hurt me in some odd way to see him like this. I'm finally starting to see what Layton sees in him.

      "That's where you're wrong. You're a good guy Nathan and a good friend. I don't want things to be awkward between us.", I sat on the bed next to him as he moved his legs and sat up facing me.

     "I shouldn't have kissed you. I'm sorry", he ran his hands through his chestnut brown hair.

     "It's okay.", I nudged him so he would look up at me. Gosh, his blue eyes were gorgeous. Maybe I did like him, but what about Layton. I couldn't do that to her. 

     "No it's not. I invaded your boundaries and that's not the guy I am. I got carried away because of how much I like you. It won't happen again", Nathan was the first guy I've met in the gang that respected boundaries.

     I just smiled at him, staring into his gorgeous eyes. I snapped out of it though remembering Layton. 

     "Wanna get out of here and grab some lunch. I know a bomb diner not to far from here", I stood up as Nathan nodded his head.

     We headed out into the cold Chicago winter.