Chapter Forty

Edited ✔️

Icetail poked his head through the bramble thickets of the gathering entrance. They were the first Clan there, and he was surprised to see how empty and large the clearing actually was. He looked around with amazement in his eyes.

The full moon was fixed right above the tall pine trees and oak trees that surrounded the very spacious clearing, and the large gray rock in the center looked polished and silver. Every cat in MoonClan began to file out, finding their places to sit. Icetail made his way through his Clan and sat at the base of the rock.

"Wondering what it's like at the top?" Brightstar asked.

"Yeah, but only leaders go up there," Icetail pointed out with a small mrrow of laughter. "I don't think I'm allowed."

"You're probably right," she said. "You might get your chance one day." The leader gathered up her haunches and leaped up on top of the rock, hauling herself up. He remained by the base of the rock, quietly grooming himself. He wasn't surprised to see his apprentice, Amberpaw, scamper up.

"Icetail!" she exclaimed. "The gathering is so cool! Better than the nursery tales!" She eagerly looked around.

"When the Clans arrive, be sure to watch what you say to who you talk to," he advised. As Amberpaw tilted her head, he explained: "Don't share any MoonClan battle moves with the other Clans. Also, never mention the troubles of your Clan. If you say too much, you'll let them know on our secrets, they'll have advantages over us. If you let them know too little, they'll be suspicious. Understand?"

"I understand!" Amberpaw declared.

Icetail watched and waited to see which Clan was coming up next. He immediately saw StreamClan's leader, Lakestar, emerge from the entrance, at the same time as Stonestar, MarshClan's leader.

"Go on and talk," he advised. "You should get to know the other apprentices."

"Thank you, Icetail," she purred, running off once more. He watched her go, looking around the clearing and wondering if Thornheart was there. He wasn't surprised when he didn't spit him amongst StreamClan's warriors. After all, Lakestar wouldn't want a MoonClan warrior to suddenly emerge at the gathering with his own Clan.

They waited for a few moments longer, until he finally saw Swiftstar arrive through the entrance, shortly after, followed by Dewstar. Icetail's breath caught in his throat as he saw his brother. The white tom was looking around the gathering place as his cats filed into the clearing.

Dewstar then spotted Icetail, and his eyes narrowed as he began to pad up. "Icetail," he greeted. "I did not expect to see you here. I thought you would be too devastated after the death of your father."

A low growl arose from Icetail's throat. "He was your father too. Killing him doesn't change that fact."

Dewstar smirked. "You're right. Just because I am responsible for his death, it doesn't mean he wasn't my father." He paused, and sighed. "Well, anyways, being a leader and all, can't stay and chat. See you."

Icetail watched as his brother leaped onto the leader's rock, sitting beside Brightstar. Her body tended as she glared at the traitor, inching away from him. Icetail averted his eyes from the leaders, and looked back to the gathering crowd. He spotted Silverleaf with Dawnstripe and a few warriors from CloudClan talking at the far end of the clearing. Relief filled his heart to see that she was still okay.

Then, he suddenly was faced by another cat. He quickly saw a cat he recognized from a dream he once had. Her tabby markings and hazel eyes looked all too much like Featherbreeze. It was Lilyclaw, his sister! He burst from his spot and made his way over to her. She immediately took notice of him and turned to face him.