Epilogue

Edited ✔️

It's been two days since the battle between MoonClan, CloudClan and DarkClan. There hasn't been a disturbance in the forest ever since. Most of the time, Icestar had rested in his den, sleeping as much as he could just like Sweetheart instructed. He didn't get a chance to speak to most of his Clanmates even though he wanted to, but he was grateful he had listened to her.

His belly was warm and full of a squirrel he just finished. He stretched out, feeling more relaxed than he had in seasons. He also thought about Dewstar . . . with him dead, this prophecy must be over, right? He felt a pain in his heart as he thought about his brother, but he pushed it past him. Wherever Dewstar ended up, he must be watching now.

He felt a presence by the den entrance. "Hey, Icestar," his new deputy, Sharpfang, called. "Sweetheart is calling you."

He stood up from his spot, and limped outside of the den, following Sharpfang to the medicine den. Sweetheart had been busy for days, treating all the wounded and making sure that the severely injured would live. The warriors who could still stand spent these last two days hunting and fixing up camp. Things had been managing, and MoonClan was slowly pulling themselves back up.

Once Icestar entered the den, he smiled at Sweetheart. "You look busy."

"And you look much better than you did two days ago," she commented, with a nod of approval. "I just wanted to change your cobwebs. After this, you should go see Silverleaf. She's been wanting to see to you."

"Everybody's been wanting to see him," Sharpfang said, amused. "He's a hero."

Icestar purred. "Amberpaw's the hero. Without her bringing CloudClan, we'd have never won the battle."

"Both of your stories will be told for as long as MoonClan stands," said Fireshade, who was recovering near the back of the den. "And Goldenpaw, too . . ." He looked outside the den, his eyes filling with sorrow.

"Ashtail will be remembered also," said Swiftbreeze. "But I wish he could've lived to see our kits." Just a day ago Swiftbreeze had told the Clan she was expecting Ashtail's kits. It shocked everyone, but of course the Clan was happy that there'd be new young ones, especially after all the losses the Clan had faced.

As Sweetheart changed Icestar's cobwebs, he wished that he could mention Dewstar. Nobody would understand the truth in Dewstar's heart, so there was no point in doing so. Every cat will always remember him as a monster. But deep down inside, Icestar will always remember him as a cat doing bad things with a good intention.

"You're ready to go," Sweetheart finally said.

Icestar nodded gratefully and clambered out of the medicine den, looking around for Silverleaf. He wasn't surprised to see her suckling their two newborn kits in the nursery den. They've been born only a few days ago, yet Silverleaf and Icestar never got the chance to name them. He was excited just for that.

When she looked up and saw him, her eyes brightened. "I finally get to see you," she purred when he reached her.

"Sweetheart told me I can," he responded. "How are those two holding off?"

"Like warriors," she replied. "Our daughter's fierce. Our son is more calm."

Icestar watched them lovingly. The she-kit had black soft-looking fur, with white paws and a white tail-tip.

"She reminds me of a raven," Silverleaf said. "So, that's what I wanted to name her . . . Ravenkit."

"It suits her perfectly," Icestar agreed.

"I think you should name him," she mewed, pointing to the tom kit with her nose.

He studied him carefully. His fur was off-white like snow. How about Snowkit? No, he thought, it doesn't suit him. He didn't like the selections that kept coming to his mind; Coldkit, Frostkit, Waterkit . . . none of them suited him. He even considered naming him Ashkit, but the name just did not stick.

The kit's eyes opened slowly, revealing a dark blue. Icestar's eyes widened. This blue was nothing like Silverbreeze's light eye—and especially not Icestar's amber eyes. Instead, it reminded him a lot like Dewstar.

"Dewkit," Icestar said suddenly. "That's . . . that's what I want to name him."

Her ears pricked, surprised. "Why Dewkit? You know all the terrible things Dewstar has done to our Clan. He murdered your father!"

Icestar nodded. "I know, but I was with him in his last moments," he admitted. "In the end, Dewstar was good. He didn't want to do the things he did."

"Then why did he do them?" Silverleaf asked softly.

"So that I may live," whispered Icestar. "It is true that he's done terrible things . . . but I'll see it that Dewkit won't turn out to be influenced as badly as Dewstar. In the end, Dewstar regretted everything he's done, and like I said, his heart was good."

"Are you sure?" asked Silverleaf, looking at the white tom kit.

Icestar nodded. "Him being named Dewkit won't make me love him any less. I'm sure."

Silverleaf licked the kit's head. "Then Dewkit it is," she agreed. "I may not know what Dewstar was like in those moments you speak of, but I'll keep it in my mind when I think of him. I hope you are sure about this."

"I'm sure," Icestar said. "Dewkit and Ravenkit shall be their names." He looked up to the starry sky of Silverpelt. He wondered if all of the cats who he ever loved and died were approving of this choice right now.

Dewstar, thought Icestar, staring up at the crescent moon. Watch over my kits. This prophecy is over . . . but this adventure will continue.