Chapter Fifty Eight

Edited ✔️

Sorry for leaving y'all at that cliff-hanger ;)

Icestar raced to the nursery, tailed by both Goldenpaw and Amberpaw. He tried go inside, but Sharpfang was the one to stand in front of the entrance, acting as if he was a guard. Angry, Icestar growled at his Clanmate.

"What are you doing, Sharpfang? Move!" he snapped.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," Sharpfang said, shaking his head. "Sweetheart told me to keep you out. Sagepelt and Dropeyes are already crowding the place, and she doesn't think you'll be of any help."

Icestar heard another painful yowl come from inside, and he tried shoving Sharpfang out of the way, but it was no use. "I'm her mate, of course I have to be there!" he insisted. "Just let me in!"

Sharpfang growled. "Sweetheart told me no—"

"Let me through, Sharpfang. I'm asking you this as your friend and especially as your leader," Icestar snarled, his voice getting lower. "I just want to see my mate."

"Sorry leader, but I have to go against your word this time." Sharpfang stood firm at his spot. "Sweetheart might come out to talk to you for a moment, but I think that's it."

"Let me talk to Sweetheart then," Icestar said quickly.

At an instant, Sweetheart squeezed through the nursery entrance, and met Icestar's worried eyes. "I'm here, Icestar," she said, giving a curt nod. "And I understand you want to go in, but you can't crowd her—"

"Why is she screaming like this?" Icestar asked, cutting the medicine cat off. "I've never heard this before!"

Sweetheart sighed. "Silverleaf's small, it's harder for her than it is for other she-cats especially since she's kitting a half-moon earlier than we all expected. She wasn't ready for this. Nightrose and Shiningmoon are the only help I need right now . . . and you have to understand that."

"No, I won't do anything to discomfort her. I just need to be there, Sweetheart, please. Silverleaf is my mate, and those are my kits," he begged.

"Stay here," Sweetheart snapped, before going back in the nursery. Icestar, defeated, took a step back. Goldenpaw rest a comforting tail over his shoulders as Amberpaw stared at him with pity.

* * *

The Clan was doing good at comforting Icestar during the whole kitting. After what seemed forever, it had finally ended. Sharpfang allowed Icestar to enter, and his heart felt like it would stop beating any moment the second he saw three little bundles curled up by Silverleaf's belly. Her eyes were closed with exhaustion—he couldn't imagine the pain a she-cat felt when she went through this.

"You did a good job," praised Shiningmoon, her voice soft. "They look so beautiful."

A purr escaped Silverleaf's throat, but she didn't respond. She just took a weak look at her kits, and her tail flicked happily. Icestar lied right beside them, tired himself, but eyes full of love. He was a father, and it felt like nothing he'd imagined. And even though it wasn't the best time to have these three bundles, he didn't care anymore.

Sagepelt was giving Silverleaf comforting licks on her ear, praising her silently, while Sweetheart turned up as well. "Congratulations, Silverleaf. Two of them seem perfectly fine—I may have to keep a close eye on the third, though. Despite that, you've had two beautiful she-kits and a handsome tom."

"The third kit will be okay, right?" Icestar asked, feeling a little worried.

The medicine cat sighed. "As a healer, I am not allowed to promise anything. I don't know what the future holds. But I'll do the best I can to make her strong. As long as she gets her milk, she might be fine."