Chapter 5 | First Match

The first game was today, and the team was playing against Spain and then other teams following. After the rest of camp, you accepted the fact you were not a starter and thought the emotions got the better of you. Again.

Maybe it was the fact Christen got it and you two had been fighting for it. The idea that Christen got it even though treated you like crap didn't make things better. As you arrived at the stadium, you heard the crowd from below as you all went to the locker room and changed into your training uniform before walking out with Midge to the field.

You heard as the crowd cheered as the players walked out and started warming up. You heard music blasting through the stadium, and took a moment to look around and couldn't believe that all the times you watched WNT games in person, you longed to be on the field as one of the players, hearing your last name being cheered and signing autographs. As you and Midge were passing a ball in the air, the crowd around the tunnel got louder and you turned to see Christen jogging out. You wished this jealousy would wear off, but every time you saw Christen, it all came back, stronger than the last one.

After warm-ups, you jogged back into the locker room and threw on the uniform, seeing your last name and the number 16 on the back and the four crests above the symbol. You smiled and got ready and walked out first as benched players were supposed to be out there, and then the starters lined up. As you headed your way to the field, you turned and saw a group of young girls waiting to be partnered with the starters and smiled at them.

You sat down in one of the bench chairs next to Midge and watched as the music changed and the promo clip for the WNT played on the big screens. As soon as that was over, the two teams walked out and you stood up, ready for the national anthems.

"... and the home of the brave?" Rang out as the singer finished the song. You sat back down and watched as the refs got into their positions and the teams as well.

Midge tapped on your foot and looked at you, "ready for this? Front row seats," she smiled.

You chuckled, "best seats in the house," you agreed. The ref blew their whistle, and the game started.
____ 

It was the 45th minute, and the score was 1-0, Lindsey Horan scoring. There was also one time Christen took a shot, but the Spain goalie was able to tip it up and away. You wished she scored a goal and groaned for the goalie's save. Yeah, you and Christen don't work well together, but that doesn't mean you wished complete failure. At least during actual games.

The ref blew their whistle signaling half time. You walked back to the locker with Midge and as you passed Abby who was on the field, you decided to tease her.

"Whew, ya stank Dahlkemper," you plugged your nose and waved your hand as if you were trying to wave off the stench away from you.

"Fuck off (l/n)," she laughed. She then decided to rub it off of you without warning, making you actually gag.

"Ohmygod," you said quickly. As soon as Abby released her grip, you sprayed her face with a water bottle.

"Thanks, that felt really good," she smiled. You rolled your eyes and sat down in one of the seats. Vlatko gave his speech, telling the players what to improve, different strategies, etc. Since you knew you wouldn't be subbed in this game, you slightly zoned out. You let your eyes wander and saw the players who were on the field sweaty and looking serious as hell which was expected. You then stopped at Christen who looked slightly tired and rested her elbows on her knees. She was looking at Vlatko but moved them to look at you for a brief second. You couldn't tear yourself away from her, and it looked like she couldn't either.

"Let's get back out there ladies!" Vlatko finished. This made you break away from her and you quickly stood up, brushing off whatever that was. You did some juggling off to side before the game resumed.